Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright my type S is going to have to sit for about 4 or 5 months. I dont have a garage, but I do have the car cover you can get from the dealer. I have a few concerns. 1. Is the heat from the upcomming summer going to damage the car under the cover? Is it possible that I might get mice or other rodents in the engine, being that it will be outdoors?? I will be able to start it anytime I want to and I will continue to mod it, even tho I wont be able to drive it. Any steps I need to take so that I wont have any damage!

·
Long Member
5,429 Posts
Why can't you drive it?

Anyway, for that long, definitely fill the tank right to the top...and maybe add some stabilizer....take the battery out, and take the wheels/tires off and put it on blocks (the tires will develop flat spots otherwise).

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got to save money on insurance, I was pretty stupid a few years back when I had my other Type S and I'm paying for it now. It going to be sitting on grass so would flat spots still be a problem??? What do you mean by stabilizer?

·
Long Member
5,429 Posts
Fuel Stabilizer....keeps the fuel from getting stale...also the reason you fill the tank to the top...so there's less air in the tank, which accelerates the fuel going stale.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thanks......will do. I bought shit load of moth balls to put near each tire and around the engine bay, hopefully that will stop any critters from getting in. Any other suggestions or ideas???

·
Long Member
5,429 Posts
When you say "near each tire"...I presume you mean off the car...because that's important...over 4 months in hot weather, the tires will develop flat spots if left on the car.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If need be I can drive it around the block every few weeks, I just have to put comprehsive insurance on it so I can save some money.

BTW Thanks for your Help

·
Long Member
5,429 Posts
No problem....Well, I'd drive it once a week and make sure you don't park it with the same spot on the bottom of the tires...mark it with chalk before you go.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
this is so odd, cause a lot of my friends have to park cars for the winter . . .myself included. Some of us do almost nothing, 5 months of zero except a cover and a full tank of gas. myself included. It starts right up and drives each spring - in fact - TODAY is the day ....... areas of concern if NOT driving it are the tires, fuel and oil,exterior care and rodents. The battery cable comes off (even take it out if you want to help keep it from being stoled). I would not park for 4-5 months on grass but get something on the grass, (patio stones come to mind). Rain, mud, enzymes in the dirt etc . . Overinflating the tires would reduce the chance of flat-spotting, but not guarantee it. Removing them and putting it up on stands would do that - but then you have suspension hanging, so supporting that is sometimes a concern (for some people). Oh, change the oil when you put it back on the road, the acids in it will be sitting there forming over those months - acids which driving take care of . . . air cleaners inside the cabin will help the smell that might develop if you leave it covered that long . . id remove the cover when possible, open windows or doors etc . ..let it air. After all, its summer - you can do this easily while hanging around the house . ..
OK, my preference would be to drive it every month - not just idle and idle - then shut it off - but around the block . . .(if thats the best you can manage) and take your chances on the insurance thing....Id idle/drive for about 15 minutes minimum...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
other than the intake - does your engine have holes in it? I dont get the rodent thing. exhaust pipes too i spose, but that is one determined rodent. mothballs will wash away of left on the ground . . . plug the holes with something?

·
03 PWP Type-S
1,118 Posts
Yes you can still get flat spots on grass. As for the rodent problem, you should try to plug all holes including your exhaust with rags/towels.

·
baby buffett
13,382 Posts
cover your exhaust with plastic

·
Registered
102 Posts
My RSX has sat for the last two summers in a garage for about 4 months straight without moving an inch. Each time I made sure to detail the paint, condition the leather, wipe down all the door seals and non-painted trim with armor-all and disconect the battery. Leave it in gear without the parking brake so that it does not stick to the rotors. If you can drive it once a month all the better, but you should be fine leaving it sitting for awhile. Also, make sure you know where your radio code is if you disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
311 Posts
set the tires on tire blocks so that the tires don't disform or get flat. Why don't you just rent a storage unit for 4-5 months? Not much $$ at all, better than potentially damaging something like rodent holes in your undercarriage or whatever you're worried about with rodents. & start it once a month (at least), run for 10 mins. or so. I had a friend who's car sat (inside too) for 6 months, and after forgetting to start the engine for just one of the months, it wouldn't start and the battery needed to be charged and car jumped, so very important to do that. I'd strongly consider a car storage tho.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've sat my on the driveway for 6 months without moving it an inch. Filled up fuel and started it every week for 20 minutes. I'm not too concern about flat spotting, more concerned about idiot drivers and gravel/rock chips in winter conditions where i live...doesn't the tire just go back to normal after driving it for a couple of days?

·
Registered
3 Posts
something i found useful from g35driver

Join the club for "waiting for spring to arrive"
The best place to store any car in the winter is a warm dry spot, away from the elements. Car covers are optional in that environment and would just be used to minimize the amount of dust on or in the car.
What I've done to store the G this winter is to change the oils in the engine, transmission(optional), rear end(optional). The engine oil is most important, as that is where the most corrosive acids can collect. Pump up the tire pressure to maximum(check sidewalls) and clean and dress the tires with some tire protectant. Clean and condition the leather seats. Get all the dirt and stains out of the carpets and floor mats. Store the floor mats in the trunk for the winter. Get a nice smelling air freshener and let it hang. Wash and wax the exterior, if needed, and make the wheels sparkle and protect with your choice of stuff.(I use Turtle wax only because I had some of it left over and it works great on the RV) Get some rubber sealant/lubricant and coat ALL the rubber seals on the doors, trunk, hood, sunroof, and anywhere else you can find.
*Important* .... open the windows at least a 1/2" on each side before disconnecting the battery. (car covers are nice for this) Otherwise when you connect the battery in the spring the windows will try and raise that 1/4".
Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery or remove the battery, your choice. I've had the battery out once and I'm not thrilled about doing it again. Once a month, attach a trickle charger to the battery and charge it up to 13 volts. If its at 13 volts, check it again next month. No need to move the car once stored, as the new tires don't set flat spots, as the old bias plys did. There may be a rough spot on the tire in the spring till the tires warm up and it will disappear. At no time during storage, start the car unless your willing to run it to hot running temp. If you do, the moisture/condensation will be in the oil and any unburned hydrocarbons are going to create those nasty corrosive acids in your oil again.
I've stored many a sport car in the past and after many reads of forums and advice from car restorers and collectors, this is the best and least problem way to store a car for the winter. In the spring it's just a quick wash and air freshener replacement and on the road for a cruise.

In the spring I'm looking at the possibiliies of removing the fuel pump fuse and prelubing the engine with oil before starting. It does make sense to me at least. I'll post my findings in the spring.
http://g35driver.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=5&Number=148060&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&part=all

1 - 19 of 19 Posts