Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

my car stinks

Tags
car stinks
2K views 39 replies 32 participants last post by  Sunshine 
#1 ·
While my car was hibernating in the garage, a little mouse decided to make its home in my air vents. My dad confirmed this when he found a big pile of dog food in the filter that the mouse was storing.

So all winter long, the mouse did what mice do. It ate and it pooped. And now my car smells TERRIBLE. Even when I don't turn on the air, it's just awful. I can kind of put up with the smell, but it's soooo bad I won't let any of my friends ride in my car for their sake.

Anyone have an idea of how to clean out the air ducts without bringing the car to Acura or a mechanic (big bucks) or ripping things apart? I don't like having an embarassingly smelly car.

#6 ·
I would get it professionally cleaned then if it is still bad purchase an air ionizer. These devices will get rid of that odor.

#8 ·
Is the dog food and all the shit still in the air vents? You may turn on your AC at full and spray Lysol in the air intake vents (you should see the vents outside near the bottom of the windshield). Spray Lysol for a minute or two and let the AC run for a few minutes. I know this process kills mildews in the condenser but I'm not sure if it will help in your situation.

#21 ·
Get it professionally taken care of. Mouse crap can carry disease "Hanta Virus" I believe (read it somewhere, I'm not an expert on mouse shit). It's not all that common, but I wouldn't want to be inhaling direct vapors of that stuff.

#26 ·
Considering that mice also like to screw, you may have something other than cold air coming out of those vents....like baby mice, perhaps?!

On a more serious note....

Your gonna have to tear the ducts out of that and clean everything, I don't think theres any way around that. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.