Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This method would be another applicable solution to our cars for someone that doesn't want to spend too much money on. This method cost me $3 for sand paper and $13 for the product from amazon.

Clear coat was shot and peeling on multiple panels from exposure. I hit the paint with 1500 grit wet sand making sure I blended in the exposed paint with the good clear coat. After the sanding I used this rustoleum wipenew product that I have used in the past with good results. See the before and after pics.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you ever get your pictures uploaded I would be interested in doing this to my e46. The roof is oxidizing pretty badly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These were taken a year ago. Notice the peeling clear coat where it completely exposed the paint. I ended up using a 1500 grit sand paper and some soap and water. Took about 1-2 hours to hit all the spots that I needed to cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These were taken yesterday after I allowed the product to dry. It dries into an acrylic like state. Kind of like clear nail polish. All the pictures I uploaded have not been edited or filtered. All were taken with natural lighting.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! Not bad. So walk us through your process once more with a bit more detail.
I first thoroughly washed the car with a detergent such as dawn dish soap. Soaked another bucket with soap and water to use with 1500 grit wet/dry sand paper. Fold the sandpaper so it fitted in the palms of your hand and lightly sand the areas you are only going to cover with the product. You may need to sand a little more thorough on the areas of the peeling clear coat so that it will blend in with the rest of the panel. Be gentle because you will burn through the paint pretty quickly especially on the raises areas where the metal bends.

After sanding, wash the car again with a detergent and thoroughly dry it. Now once car is completely dry, you want to do this in a shaded area or in your garage. Best time to do this is in the late afternoon or evening because you want your panels cooled down. Now use the product and the supplied microfiber clothes. Product is about 2 ounces and is just enough to cover what you see in my pics. Soak the microfiber and be liberal covering the affected areas. You want to only make one pass because overlapping will cause streaking. YouTube wipenew and follow how to apply the product for best results. Once down, allow the product to dry for 24 hours. Don't get impatient and tough the panels during this time because you will create smudges. Like I said it isn't show quality or perfect but definitely better looking than before and great for a daily driver.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got bored and decided to do the front bumper too since it had bad clear coat issues and scratches from years of abuse from being on the road. No before picture but you can see it all nice now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts