Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

My DIY buddy club aluminum shifter arm

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  kay20tilldeath 
#1 ·
So K-Tuned sells a billet aluminum shift arm for the stock shift box. I'm pretty sure they don't guarantee it will fit the buddy club shifter, so I decided to make my own.

It really isn't that hard, just had to take a bunch of measurements. Mine is made from 3 pieces instead of a single billet (to reduce machining time and cost).

The main body is water jet cut and then I machined it on the CNC router I built.

The upgraded spring was actually purchased from K-tuned since I didn't want to have a custom torsion spring made (too expensive for a one off).

Spherical bearing is a nice piece from IGUS, made in Germany. Does not need to be serviced (oiled) and is much tighter than the stock type ball. I work as an engineer and we use IGUS products in many of our automation applications.

I've installed it into my buddy club shifter box:

I will be installing it on the car next weekend. Zero side to side shifter "slop" now. Happy so far!

See less See more
#2 ·
why don't you do more for selling? They look good

#4 ·
Just an update.... I finally installed this short shifter + my custom arm. Looks like I nailed it with the dimensions on the first try.

Everything fit nicely and it eliminated 95% of the stock sloppy feel. I'm also running MTEC springs in the transmission + aluminum bushings on the ends of the cables.

Shifts are solid and accurate now. The force required to shift has increased quite a bit, but I don't mind.

Also, I have yet to adjust the actual length of the shifts. Just going to get used to this for a week or so first.

#6 ·
I can't remember if I made any drawings for it...

I don't really have time to make proper drawings but I could probably generate a 2D dxf so you can get the parts waterjet cut / laser cut.

Then I can show some basic dimensions for the milling. It would be enough to get you to replicate the parts.

#8 ·
I want one

#10 ·
That's pretty cool man, nice work. But I don't understand why people post these kinds o DIY's obviously not everyone has access to milling equipment and water jets.... IMO, if you post something like this, you should be including very detailed plans on how to go about making something like this, or at least like stated above, the measurements. Because other wise, it's just telling me, " look what I am able to replicate and and make that only a select few can actually accomplish. In no way am I trying to disrespect the OP or his skills. I just think this should be in the machined/fabrication section. But again, awesome work and nice to know that you don't have to be a huge a company to make something just as precise and Intrekit as they do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.