Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
spread the work over a weekend, and everything went smooth except for when i applied too much clearcoat and it left a white film in the middle of the light, then my dumb ass tried to removed it right away....point of the story is if you fuck up, lets it dry then sand it down and repaint area.

it's in a way pointless to colormatch to a NBP car, but i wanted to see what it woudl look like...the blue sparkles are there and am just waiting for a nice sunny day to see if it truely matches. here are some pics i took last night

Attachments

·
Stonecutter member # 905
113 Posts
Arent you the one who made the thread about "The Ultimate DIY for blacking out headlights"??

So what method did you use, Oven, exacto knife?

·
Who's the big winner????
1,246 Posts
Yeah you are going to have to write a DIY guide on your method. I think that looks sweeeet! :thumbsup:

·
zoom zoom
2,027 Posts
from my understanding, if the clearcoat is too thick it will appear cloudy at first, but then it will clear as it dries. so u could have left it alone... but im not sure, so dont take my word for it. anyway, nice work.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
ITRGTR said:
from my understanding, if the clearcoat is too thick it will appear cloudy at first, but then it will clear as it dries. so u could have left it alone... but im not sure, so dont take my word for it. anyway, nice work.

if you dont put enough clearcoat on, it will make the paint actually look duller....you have to put enough on so it mends together and just looks wet

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i used the exact same method as the current DIY guide
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=107439&highlight=diy+headlights+guide

the only thing that was different was that I:

1. Sanded the chrome a bit
2. Taped up the Turn signal area so it would remain chrome
3. Taped up the area under the reflector in the top exterior corners (which has orand bulbs)
4. 2 light coats of primer (DO NOT USE CHEAP PRIMER, it will peel off!)
5. 4 light coats of color matches paint (or as many coats needed to cover all chrome)
6. 2 light coats of clearcoat (be very careful not to apply too much, this step was required to colormatch, but not necessary if using other paints)

7. Left off all orange reflectors, the blue bulb you see is a hyper white/xenon bulb for the turn signals

MOST IMPORTANT: is this do this when you have the time. I made sure everything dried properly by doing primer on Friday, paint on Saturday, clearcoat on Sunday and installed on monday. this will ensure that everything is really dry and will not chip when youre putting it all back together

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NOTE: i didnt really use a BBQ, my great plan was to inject a solvent all around to melt the glue, but i didnt do it in the end in fear of having the lense become yellow or even melting it. i may try it on a future project though. in this case, i used the oven method, which worked just fine, except you really have to use your strength to seperate them, dont be scared on breaking them (just watch out for the tabs)

·
Ex-Mod
25,997 Posts
PayPal account name: [email protected] Make it for $51.50 to cover the 3% PayPal charge of $1.50.

Another tip: If you use a self etching primer, you wont have to worry about peeling. And you can use less clear coat if you spray it with the can closer to it, which will make it a little thicker, but will leave it more glossy. I'll get some pics of a DSM RSX that i did with color match, probably the best set of lights i have ever done out of the 22 cars ive painted the headlights on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts