Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
:lurk:
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well my DIY lower grille seemed to go ok (minus the paint chipping from rocks), so I decided to try it with the upper grille as well.

For starters, I had to dremel out where the front emblem mounted to. Otherwise, the grille wouldn't sit flush. Then I got the usual gutter guard from home depot. I traced where to cut and used tin snips to cut out the pattern

Then after looking at it, I noticed that you could still see the remainder of the grille. So I took the dremel again and took out most of the grille, leaving a few spaces to use as anchor points for zip ties.

I used some door edge trim around the edge of the cut grille (The stuff was like barbed wire)

Pic of finished product. I painted the gutter guard using duplicolor high temp paint (had some left over from when I painted my muffler, seems to hold up well) While I was at it, I cut a vent in the top of the grille for my intake snorkel. I cut a hole in the front of the snorkel to try to get a ram air intake effect (sorry, forgot to take pics of that). I used more door trim the vent edge. Tried to 45 degree cut the edges for better fit, but there's still like a 2mm gap. Oh well, looks good enough from afar.

May not be as pretty as the grillecraft one, but it gave me a project to do the past few weekends. :thumbsup:

And +rep to HondaSpeed05 for hooking me up with the extra grille.

Reactions: doggk1 and mode360

·
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More pics

Before

After

Another Angle

***UPDATE***
I went ahead and removed the stock lower grille and put more gutter guards in it's place. Fitment doesn't look as good up close, but looks fine from far away. I might eventually replace both with genuine grillecraft grilles.

·
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I was debating whether or not to mount emblem to the new grille. I might use some of that duplicolor metalcast paint on the emblem to give it a black chrome look.

I just really didn't like the stock plastic honeycomb grille. I bought an extra grille for this mod. So if my DIY grille doesn't hold up, I'll probably just paint the original one to match my car and put it back on.

Reactions: l e o h j

·
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! I wish we didn't have front license plates in TX though. It would look so much cleaner without.

·
its jdm dog
198 Posts
i like it. i did the same thing about a year ago. but you put much more effort in it then i did. + rep

·
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I just got my first paint chip last week :thumbsdow
I thought it wouldn't be as bad since it's higher up, but I was wrong. And I sprayed on several coats, you could actually see how thick it was from the chip. Oh well, time to get out the touch up paint.

If anyone knows a better way to keep it from chipping, I'm opened to suggestions.

·
its jdm dog
198 Posts
i have a lot of chips in mine. i was thinking of using some caliper paint because its ment to hold up to more severe conditions then the krylon i used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
pretty cool, how much do you want for the old grill and with emblem? i actually need that because some jacked my emblem and in the process messed up my grill :/ ... suks

·
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pretty cool, how much do you want for the old grill and with emblem? i actually need that because some jacked my emblem and in the process messed up my grill :/ ... suks
Sorry to hear that dude. I wasn't planning on selling my old grille in case I need to go back for some reason. Try posting in the Want to Buy forum. I got a response there after only a day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts