Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

My first time at the track...terrible

679 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  K20A2 
#1 ·
My first run I launched at 3,000. After I released the clutch I floored it (works well on the street) and felt the car wheel hopping. It got to 8,100 immediatley so I threw it into second. It started hopping like crazy so I lifted then gassed it in second. I got traction then floored it the rest of the way through second, third, then into fourth. My time...16.9 at 85 mph.:firemad: I was very mad and the track was packed (import only night) with cool cars and alot of people saw that crap.

My second run I launced at 1,500 and slowly gassed it (just to get a feel for the track) and ran a 15.9 at 93 mph. The track was so packed it took me 4 hours to make those two runs. I wasn't able to run a third time.

I just ordered the Hondata too. That sucks b/c I need to learn how to drive at the track first. Next drag races aren't until January...

#2 ·
Don't worry, I have some tips that might help you out.

1. Tire pressure - The lower the better, that will help you launch at a higher RPM (which you need to do) to get the wheels spinning and not hopping. You don't want to go too low, it is about finding that balance. If you lower it and still get it, lower it more. Got down one PSI at a time until you stop getting or greatly reduce your wheel hop.
2. Engine damper and/or Motor Mounts - This will help quite a bit with wheel hop.
3. New tires - You didn't say what you are using but that could really help
4. New rear shocks - again didn't say your setup but having adjustable rear shocks could really help

The trick is to get your car setup to launch at the 5500 seconardy rev limiter, that will get you off the line well, good 60ft times, and improvement in overall numbers.

#3 ·
Thanks for the tips dude:thumbsup:

I am running stock tires (32 psi in the front) and have no mods to my suspension. In a couple of months I will be getting a hefty tax return, and that will all be used for performance. I am afraid to get motor mount inserts b/c I don't want my car to rattle. I was thinking about getting an LSD. Would that help with wheel hop? :dontknow:

#4 ·
Replace the tires first and foremost and drop to around 25PSI or a little less depending on track conditions.

If you don't want to do the motor mount, do the engine damper. Does the same thing without the vibration.

The LSD can help but more with traction than wheel hop. I will do up a post soon that explains wheel hop so that everyone can understand what is exactly happening and how you can stop.

#5 ·
You are most helpful.

I will buy the engine damper from you guys when it goes on sale. Lauching at 5,500 sounds like it requires alot of skill. I'll work my way up to that. Like I said...this was my first time down the 1320. I now feel very compelled to buy performace parts and better my driving skills at the track. I can't wait to get that Hondata put in:driving: . Just the thought of having a low 14 second RSX makes me ecstatic:D .

#7 ·
I have lot of experience with the 1/4 mile and know a lot of little tricks to help.

It doesn't actually take a lot of skill because you set the car up to do it. There is a built in rev stop at 5500 so all you need to do is step on it and go on the 3 yellow. It is easier I think that trying to guess at an RPM and having no control over it.

Once you kit 14's you will want 14.5's then 13's... It just keeps going and going and that is what makes it fun.

#8 ·
talyler said:
I'll buy new tires too. Mine are kinda bald (31,000 miles). Any suggestions on tires for the stock 16s?
I am not much of a tire guy, so I would check out the suspension forum or some other posts in this forum to see what other people are using and what they like.

I use a drag radial on my RSX just at the track.

#12 ·
talyler said:
Yes my car was idling the emtire time:dontknow:

I'll just keep it off next time until I'm about to stage. It warms up pretty quick. Is that a good idea?
yeah thats a good idea.

leaving your car idling for 4hrs just to make 2 runs.. umm no. heat saps your power. if u must, get yourself an icepack and apply it to your intake manifold before you run to help cool things down.

#13 ·
Cool thanx! One more month till Sport Compact Only night at Firebird. I'll create a new thread then with my times.

Lower Tire pressure (25 psi)
Lauch at 5,500 :nervous:
Leave car off when staging.

Thank you guys for all the help:thumbsup:

#15 ·
talyler said:
Cool thanx! One more month till Sport Compact Only night at Firebird. I'll create a new thread then with my times.

Lower Tire pressure (25 psi)
Lauch at 5,500 :nervous:
Leave car off when staging.

Thank you guys for all the help:thumbsup:
Tire pressure looks good, but don't be afraid to drop it again if you are getting wheel hop.

Don't launch at 5500RPM, you have not done enough modification to pull that off, I said that as a future goal. I would try around 3000 or so and see how that goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.