Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is the Base RSX 2003, 5spd. I noticed this today, and was wondering if this is normal or not. I was idling after a 10-20 minute drive, parking brake on and transmission in neutral, and rpm was around 650. When I blipped the throttle, it would rev up to 1500-2000rpm, and then dip down below 650 for about 1-2 seconds, and then goes back to normal idle. Blipping again while the revs are low causes knocking/pinging or chain rattle kind of noise momentarily right as the revs start going up. What are some causes of this? Anyone have experience fixing this issue? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Don;t blip the throttle. You introduced fuel, and it leans it back. Depending on the mileage you might need a new chain or more likely a tensioner. This may sharpen out throttle response as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response! Tensioner sounds much easier to do than the chain... My car has a little over 130k miles, maybe it's not a bad time to change it soon. When I find time that is...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The chain has some stretch, but should last another 100k. The tensioner runs out of tension as it moves out and is too weak to keep tension.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The chain has some stretch, but should last another 100k. The tensioner runs out of tension as it moves out and is too weak to keep tension.
Not to argue you marko16. The service limit per Honda is I believe 120.000? As to chain/tensioner replacement. They do ware out and they do break. I only and always comment on these things because I've seen the damage caused and some people think that can never happen. It does!

·
Premium Member
8,438 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 03 Base with the revs dipping occasionally. I didn't have the chain noises but mine ended up being my TPS sensor. Sounds like you may have a mechanical issue based on the noise though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts