My next project...

Tags
project
3K views 104 replies 22 participants last post by  i VieTEC 
#1 ·
http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/WaterInjection.html
http://www.kennedysdynotune.com/waterinjected.htm
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/cp.html

You can read up on what I want to try. First of all, you skeptics. Keep your biased water opinions to yourself. I have been reading up on this for about a month now and have even talked to some Cobra guys and they are using the same setup. They say it is even beneficial to N/A guys but in lesser form. Turbo and Super guys will see the best gains. Research all about this, but you want 10% of fuel supply. Say that I have 4 x 440cc injectors. I want 10% of the total capacity. About 150cc of water injection. Spraying right before the TB. Everything that I have read goes hand in hand with what Hondata did with a 40shot of N2O. The water will vaporize and cool down the IAT thus decreasing CDT. I look at it like this. I won't get the kick of nitrous but I will get the decrease temp and more fuel because of denser air intake. Future may even be a water/N2O setup, who knows.

#4 ·
Not that I have heard. All the SVT and Cobra guys over at Corral.net use this. This basically an aftercooler. Jackson Racing sells them for like $600. You will most likely get rid of the car before "anything bad" could happen. As with any mod to your car, you take full and sole responsibility for things breaking. As Edo once said, you are not making power unless you are breaking something!

#7 ·
no reason to be biased man. water injection is a tried and true method of charge/cylinder cooling. It has been used for many years and is very effective. It allows you to use a smaller or in this case no intercooler on FI apps. while keeping intake temps within acceptable levels due to water's relatively high campacity to absorb heat. Even with an IC you will see some benifits with the setup. It also will actually length cylinder and piston life by cooling the actuall combustion chaber itself( depending on how much of the water is still in liquid form by the time it reaches the cylinder). Sonny you might wanna go talk to the guys over on the rx7 forums. They have a lot of expirience with it and the tuning involved to account for the cooler charge. I know they work with rotaries but they can help you get a good general idea of what you need. The only downside as far as i know is you have to keep refilling the water ;)

#8 ·
not biased, just be careful, steam engines(push the shafts on a train) and nuclear reactors (turning turbines) work with steam because of it's enormous pressures. it's just physics.

the water injection has to be very very carefully.

I hope to heaven he gets it bang on extracts a shitload of power.

#9 ·
I knew it. There is one in every crowd. How much water will be going into each cylinder? 150cc split 4 ways is not very much. I will be in vapour form but at the same time dissipating heat. The result is cooler intake/combustion chamber temps. Resulting in more power. Cleaner spark plugs and less carbon buildup. The amount of water that gets vapourized is minute in itself. 1.2 ounces of vapourized water or less depending on the size of the jets. This is the same principal as N2O (H2O). See a familiarity here?

Here is a brief description of nitrogen.
Standard state: gas at 298 K
Colour: colourless
Classification: Non-metallic

Here is a brief description of hydrogen.

Standard state: gas at 298 K (the lightest gas known)

I understand physics of atoms and molecular breakdown. Again, the same principle of N2O injection.

#14 ·
I am looking for a cheaper/safer alternative to N2O. Distilled water I can get all day long for nothing. Juice costs. If it works it works, if it doesn't poor me. Isn't there a HIN in LA that you have to go to? Just for you. I made 229WHP with 5psi and I am putting 245WHP with 7psi. Let's do the math. Water vs Nitrous. Water kit, $200; Nitrous kit, $300 or more depending.

#16 ·
I am not trying to start anything. I know what your car can do. I know what my car can do. At least I am putting ideas out so people can have something to look forward to. If you haven't noticed there is not alot of stuff to put on this car to make power. Every little bit helps. I do what I can.

#17 · (Edited)
wdsonny said:
I knew it. There is one in every crowd. How much water will be going into each cylinder? 150cc split 4 ways is not very much. I will be in vapour form but at the same time dissipating heat. The result is cooler intake/combustion chamber temps. Resulting in more power. Cleaner spark plugs and less carbon buildup. The amount of water that gets vapourized is minute in itself. 1.2 ounces of vapourized water or less depending on the size of the jets. This is the same principal as N2O (H2O). See a familiarity here?

I understand physics of atoms and molecular breakdown. Again, the same principle of N2O injection.

the same as N20?

for cooling sure as a power adder not even close.

I read all those sites and a few more, which allll decree that water injection won't net you more power, it will however, keep combusiton temp lower avoiding detonation and pre ignition. This lowerin of temp allow you to run more boost and advanced ignition timing which does give you power. Normally only used in FI engines.

Like I said, I wish you the best, truly and hope you boost crazy and extract tons of power, but be careful.

The steam cleaning is right and a good thing but remember about humidity and how much water vapour you're inducing already and then adding and remember the physicl properties of water and that when you get to 0 degrees (at sea level or 14.7 psi) you need to add an alcohol derivitive to prevent it from freezing etc.

If this is such a good thing for cars and super cheap to do, why are all cars not water injected?

#18 ·
theres not alot of stuff we can do to make power? Call up cybernation and order one of their kits you could have 400whp.......and your done. Dont even try to say that stuff about car shows......i got the power to match you and some looks to go with it .......dont hate.

#19 ·
Oh come on! That was all in fun. What's the point of talking if you can't have fun. Granted you have about 25 more than me. But you are packing a ton of audio equipment. Yeah, you have the looks, but I have the stealth aspect. Nobody knows I am fast until they try it. I don't want a turbo. I am happy with the JRSC, I just want more than what is available for it. That is why I research things that interest me. We should hit Carlsbad sometime on a Saturday and have some fun. I bet you, you could make some Domestic owners irritated. I did.

#20 ·
Boosted_dc5 said:
theres not alot of stuff we can do to make power? Call up cybernation and order one of their kits you could have 400whp.......and your done. Dont even try to say that stuff about car shows......i got the power to match you and some looks to go with it .......dont hate.
Ive read your posts and you are the hater. If he wanted a turbo, he would have bought one.

#21 ·
sonny, u "only" made 245? are you still running the stock header? i know you got that thermal 3in. so i thought you would be makin a little more.

#22 ·
Unfortunately, the JR header that I wanted has some issues with the Thermal 3inch. So I am looking at the Comptech now instead. I am not doing this water injection for some time. I am still researching. Header, no cat first. Once those two things are done I will start the water injection. Hey, everyone take it easy on Boosted. He is cool with me. He just wanted to bust my ballz, since he hasn't in a while. It's all good.

#23 ·
you know what boosted. wdsonny has done alot of work and testing on the JRSC. and you know what i have been there to witness it all. just becuase he does not post a dyno sheet everytime does not mean that he does not have the power. and with what types 150 said your the hater. i mean you have turbo congrats. i want one. but i am more intrested in seeing what sonny can do and will do with the JRSC. so chill out.

#25 · (Edited)
wdsonny said:

you however forget that the gasses in the air we breath are 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen. n2o is simply more oxygen per part than in the atmosphere. Compress this to insane pressure, and yes, you get power.

if we wanna use the chemical forums, hydrogen is very flammable, is it not? Adds more spark, but i can't get past the idea of intentionally spraying water into your engine.

edit: but yes, i have heard gains from it. However, i'm not boosted, so much research to me, would be a waste ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.