Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading that many people have been getting grinding problems in mostly 2nd gear. I get grinds too but, the only gear I would get it in is 3rd gear. I've tried many things to solve this, and I've finally found something that works for me and my car.

When I'm driving, if I rest my hand on the gear when its already engaged, it tends to grind the next time(s) I go back to my 3rd gear. However, when I don't rest my hand on any gears during the drive, I no longer have a grind problem. I've been doing this for about a month now, and I have no grind problems.

I drive a 2006 RSX-S that has 20,000-20,500miles.

·
tq is nice
2,881 Posts
hmm....i have a k20a2 swap with the 6spd....my second gear is touchy...i have to shift somewhat slow otherwise it wont go in....at WOT....but at normal driving i have no problems....

·
Retired OG
100,341 Posts
Manual states

not to rest your hand on the shifter when its in any gear....

(it could damage trans)

That may be the reason your having problems in the first place...
:rotfl: oh no

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
I've been reading that many people have been getting grinding problems in mostly 2nd gear. I get grinds too but, the only gear I would get it in is 3rd gear. I've tried many things to solve this, and I've finally found something that works for me and my car.

When I'm driving, if I rest my hand on the gear when its already engaged, it tends to grind the next time(s) I go back to my 3rd gear. However, when I don't rest my hand on any gears during the drive, I no longer have a grind problem. I've been doing this for about a month now, and I have no grind problems.

I drive a 2006 RSX-S that has 20,000-20,500miles.
you aren't supposed to be resting your hand on the shifter anyway. the only time you touch the shifter is when you are actually changing gears.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
LOL I've rested my hand on the shifter at times too... lol... not too much tho cause I like to have 2 hands on the wheel on the highway and most of my driving is done on the highway.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Uh oh i rest my hand on the Shifter...i am going to stop though no reading this thread

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
How does resting your hand on the shifter cause tran. problems
probably pushes the shifter ever so slightly one way (like if your in 6th resting it on there it'll push it toward 5th) which will wear out certain things... I dont know what tho cause I know jack schidt about trannys :D

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
How does resting your hand on the shifter cause tran. problems
You are putting a constant pressure on the collars. It would take a long time to actually break anything like this IMO, but its definitely not a good habit.

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
^ Exactly ...

You can actually feel the difference in the gear shift..

If u slightly touch the shifter you will notice minimal vibration

as you apply more ABNORMAL pressure.... you can see an increase in vibration which is OBV not good...

Pistol Grip and Resting hand on shifter FTL :shakehead: kids....

I rest my hand on automatic cars tho :p

1 - 20 of 45 Posts