Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a 2003 Base Manual with 106,000 miles for a few months now. It is unlikely the transmission has ever been replaced. I’ve noticed some issues with the transmission that scare me, and over the time I’ve been driving it I have compiled all of the things that suggest the trans may be on its last legs.

1. Very loud whining noise in reverse
2. A strange noise similar to a loose belt when letting off the gas quickly in first gear
3. Occasionally refuses to go into first gear
4. Grinding when shifting into third gear at higher RPMs
5. Sound like a buzzsaw cutting through a metal pipe at 4500+ RPM in fourth gear
6. sometimes grinds when shifting into reverse
7. Clutch slips sometimes
8. Shifting into gear usually feels like there is a hiccup in the motion of the stick into gear, very unsatisfying.

I know there is a transmission rebuild or replacement in my near future, I am just wondering about how serious these issues are, i.e. will I get stranded.

· Registered
949 Posts
My opinions, worth what you paid for them...

1. Very loud whining noise in reverse Mostly normal. Different cut gears.
2. A strange noise similar to a loose belt when letting off the gas quickly in first gear Doing so rocks the engine pretty hard. Could be something rubbing somewhere, or clutch.
3. Occasionally refuses to go into first gear It happens sometimes. Let up the clutch then try again.
4. Grinding when shifting into third gear at higher RPMs Operator error/shift linkage adjustment.
5. Sound like a buzzsaw cutting through a metal pipe at 4500+ RPM in fourth gear Buzzing heat shield?
6. sometimes grinds when shifting into reverse Mostly normal, especially if done quickly after clutch is depressed.
7. Clutch slips sometimes Clutch problem, not a transmission problem.
8. Shifting into gear usually feels like there is a hiccup in the motion of the stick into gear, very unsatisfying. See number 4.

Relax. At 106,000 miles your transmission is barely broken in and far from on its last legs. I've run them well over 250,000 with no major problems. Change the oil with Honda MTF. Check for excessive shifter bushing wear and proper linkage alignment. Have the clutch and clutch master cylinder checked out. Of course, if you insist on throwing money at basically non-issues, that's your choice.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok this is very helpful, thank you. I’ll get the clutch looked at, while working with the shift linkage would I be able to install a short shifter? I plan on tracking in this car come March with the SCCA and I’m just trying to make sure it won’t explode on me while pushing it

· Registered
10 Posts
Grinding and gear issues?
I experience similar malfunctions. Wouldn't go into 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th gear sometimes. And wouldn't enter into reverse.
Thought I had transmission problem.
But, no!!
Replaced my clutch with EXEDY 08-806 racing clutch and a LUK flywheel.
With 164,000 miles, my 2005 RSX Type s, shifts like butter.
It never shift like this since driving it from 2007 until 2023.
Patti's Auto Care in Berkeley, California 94702. She selected this combo for my vehicle. And the clutch pedal adjustment is light, precise, and allows quick shifting.
When I get a chance, AC Delco Synchromesh transmission oil with 25% Lucas Engine Oil Stabilizer (non synthetic) goes back into the transmission.
I should've used her services years ago.
Her shop telephone number: is 510-981-9007. This is the first female shop to work on my Type S.
BTW, Amazon reviews recommend the EXEDY HF02 Flywheel with EXEDY 08-806 Racing clutch kit.🦁🙏🦅🛐🗽🇺🇸🏦💰🇸🇻✝

1 - 4 of 4 Posts