Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High pitched whining noise everyone has been complaining about, starts at 2000 and goes up to 3500, but really comes to full annoyonce at 3k. It does not occur in neutral, only while in gear during normal acceleration (quietly under slight acceleration and not at all when smashing the gas). I removed the exhaust header heat shield, mystery noise persisted. Checked the cat heat shield, and its in perfect shape. I checked the half-shaft shield, to find it was non-existent. There was a small shield next to the firewall, on the drivers side, that appeared hitting the brake lines, not it either. I have also adjusted the hood stops so that's not the issue. The noise comes from the drivers side. I have discovered that the noise gets louder as the engine warms up, pointing to a timing chain tensioner. I have also discovered that the drivers side axle has a little bit of play before the wheel starts spinning, suggesting a bad bearing :confused:. In the interest of my wallet how can I check the timing chain tensioner, and if it is a bad bearing, do I need to replace the wheel bearing, or can I, and would it be easier to just replace the drivers side axle. Any other thoughts as to what it could be would be appreciated as well.

·
Registered
842 Posts
driveshaft shield maybe?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For FWD cars they are known as half-shafts, and mine was already removed by the previous owner.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its in all gears not just 4th. Sure sounds to be coming from transmission, but the noise has only occurred for about a month now, telling me its not a "normal" thing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A bad wheel bearing would sound like a bad growling/rubbing noise. You would probably know if it was a bad wheel bearing or not
Im wondering if its just not as far gone as others. Is the play in the drivers-side normal, and where else could that play be coming from if not the wheel bearing

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
Sorry, it was your first post/thread so I had no background for how long you've had car/issue.
My car has the same rotational play/delay too. Figured it was just the nature of the CV joint :dontknow:
Is the sound you're hearing more like a "zzzzzzzzzz?"

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I try to refrain from starting threads but im out of options at this point. kinda a high pitched "zzz." Sounds like metal on metal, but small pieces, like a heatshield, brake line, etc. Its clearly coming from the front drivers side.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
Huh; thought so -- I know exactly that sound. It only happens under certain slight throttle, not feather throttle, but not moderate throttle -- somewhere in-between. Maybe it's like the perfect resonance in the head or intake manifold or throttle body, like from the injectors or valvetrain or something

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update; I have found that with the car dropped, looking down on the engine bay on the drivers side, the cv joint behind the transmission there has play both rotationally and up and down/side to side. Still wondering if this is not just a normal thing, as IronGumby said. The up and down/side to side movement definitely doesn't seem normal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So in the service manual under drive shaft inspection it says to "turn the drive shaft by hand and make sure the splines and joints are not excessively loose." also I am noticing large vibration dampeners on all the drive shafts, so I think I may have found the source of my noise. It seems like if the spline makes a clunking noise while I wiggle it, that's excessively loose. Is it time for some stage 2 axels ? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I think I'm in need of axles as well, but it sound's like I'm getting a different pitch of rattle and it's only when I let off the gas. Mine have play, but i dont know how much is "excessive." Have you tried forward or reverse movement at full steering lock to see if that agitates the noise?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's my issue too, is how much is "excessive." I know I get to much whine in reverse to hear anything, but I'm not sure about forward. The problem is it happens with just the right amount of gas between 2.5 and 4k, and it hard to get to full lock in that range.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Even at low speeds, it should give you a grumbling sound or feel at full lock. That is when the CV joint is stressed the most. Bearings I would have thought give a more continuous rubbing or grinding noise, rather than a click or rattle. But a worn wheel bearing will show up in play at the wheels themselves, if you know how to feel for up & down, and side to side wobbling with the wheel off the ground. Your mention of loudness and engine temp is interesting, but at the same time would it be fair to say everything connected to the hot brakes is also warming up as you drive around? Check wheel bearing and axle play before and immediately after a long drive to see if you can feel a change?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm, all good there. Could it be the engine mounts? I get major clunking when I change gears harshly, and the flaps on the tranny mount are falling off. It seems like a relatively common problem, and the car has 160k on it. I think the noise may be primarily coming from the drivers side because I have a torque damper on the passenger side. time to take it off and find out:pray::pray::pray::pray:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, after removing the torque damper, the noise persisted, and just on the drivers side still. I was also reminded of the reason I had put it on there in the first place, the amount of play in the mounts. Originally, I had thought the movement in engine was normal, but now it is very apparent that the mounts were, and have been bad. I believe the reason for the noise on the drivers side is because the torque damper put extra strain on the already bad transmission mount, and has created extra play. I have purchased some 75a innovative's, that should hopefully solve this issue. I will only truly know in a couple weeks when I get the parts, but hopefully I won't have to write on this thread again. Thank you guy's so much for your help, I really needed it on this one.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Have you used poly mounts before? I had 70As on my old Accord and hated them. They're not bad when you're driving, but at idle they shake the car like crazy and create all sorts of new interior rattles. It lessens as the engine warms them up, but I was hating life in the winter. All this on an engine with balance shafts; I don't believe the RSX uses them.

But I'm interested in hearing if new mounts fix your problem. At least they should cure the DC5's infamous wheel hop, not to mention improved throttle response.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts