Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So recently I have acquired my first Rsx. It's pretty much stock. Apart from lowered. Body kit. Lots of aftermarket for the eyes. The stance is good so I wont have to worry about that being my first upgrade. I currently have about 1k saved up for parts, I'm just wondering what to buy. I was thinking exhaust and headers. But I really have no clue on what to buy for that. So I'm thinking that I will order an rbc manifold, and a new throttle body, could anyone point me in the directions of good links for either of the two. I could potentially just buy a type s tb off the marketplace forum. If it would adapt easier. I'm just trying to get my stack of parts started before I spend my money on something stupid, like something that is not my car.
I will be using this forum for lots of help/ opinions on my build as I'm new to tuning, it is something I want to invest my money into though. So look forward to everyone's thoughts, and opinions.
I can post pictures tomorrow of my engine bay. I kind of think I will need a new cai. Mine is password jdm and taking up a lot of space. Battery is already relocated to the back because of that cai alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
K pro will also be a buy. Nobody worry about that ! I am going to buy it last. And work on getting my parts for now. I wont be running my car without a tune. I won't even be installing these parts until I am satisfied with what I have. So basically I'll bring it to the shop. Get all my gathered parts installed one day, and hopefully tuned later in the day/ next morning.

Here's my check list of decisions so far. Guide me with better choices lol.

Performance

K pro engine management
Rbc intake manifold
Type s throttle body 
Headers?
Exhaust?
Skunk2 stage 2 cam shafts
Valve springs, retainers*
Camgears ?? 

Port head 
K20a2 cam rockers and pins???

·
Registered
559 Posts
I say get a type s 6speed tranny with the 4.7 final drive (05 06). It'd make a pretty noticeable difference in acceleration, plus everything will still be "stock" per say

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
K pro will also be a buy. Nobody worry about that ! I am going to buy it last. And work on getting my parts for now. I wont be running my car without a tune. I won't even be installing these parts until I am satisfied with what I have. So basically I'll bring it to the shop. Get all my gathered parts installed one day, and hopefully tuned later in the day/ next morning.

Here's my check list of decisions so far. Guide me with better choices lol.

Performance

K pro engine management
Rbc intake manifold
Type s throttle body
Headers?
Exhaust?
Skunk2 stage 2 cam shafts
Valve springs, retainers*
Camgears ??

Port head
K20a2 cam rockers and pins???
Well since he wants a rbc he will need k pro if it is a base...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I will get a six speed tranny. To much of a cost at the moment when I can focus o. Parts. Maybe one day I'll eventually buy a complete type s swap. That way all the parts I've accumulated could be used in the same set up, I would think to my knowledge. So still. Want to focus on parts rather then a whole new tranny. Because one day I will eventually get a full type s swap. Or a full type s car haha.
Links to a site that can sell me everything needed for an rbc to adapt to my 2002 bAse?
I said I am buying a k pro in that post dude. What's a good throttle body upgrade to go with it? I read more then a few spots that the base doesn't mount up quite right. And a better throttle body would be a good upgrade anyways. Hit me up with links/thoughts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go from my check list and I'm sure you'll see gains. Just pick them with the brands of your choice. Pretty easy simple choices if you know what you want to do with your car. If you've tuned before. All setups use the same basics for gains. To an extent.
You should look for that link if you've seen it before.

·
Forever Slow
7,740 Posts
Most I would do to an A3 is I/RH/E/RBC and K-Pro and nothing more for all motor. Maybe swap in a 6 speed with 4.7 final drive.

The amount you are spending on it will maybe just equal to Type-S power, maybe a little more. So no point in throwing cams in or anything unless you find a good deal on A2 cams and do the labour yourself.

Might as well save up for a K24, turbo the A3 or buy a different car with more power from the get go.

This coming from a base owner who regrets owning one :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your base looks so clean. And yeah. It's a lot of mods. But say 5k cash. Compared to a 10-15k stock type s. I'm contemplating it. Lots. Hmm.. You just make me ponder it more. If I were to just get a type s. within even a year. I would label the k pro as a pointless upgrade. Unless I took my ecu when I sold the car. My paint job is shit. Even though I have a 3000$ receipt for it labelled in August from previous owner.
You really think all the upgrades I want to do, wouldn't be worth it ? I got spanked so bad by an accord. Fuck you base model. Accord was definitely 2012 or tuned to shit. Probably both. But still. I am regretting the base. But it was all I could afford. And it's not a bad first vehicle. I can't complain at all. I dream of type s. but I'm not sure if it is all to plausible.

·
Registered
559 Posts
which is why I suggested the tranny swap. your engine won't be making more power, but the transmission swap would give you the same kick in the seat as all the mods on an a3. I see what you're saying about costs though.

But at the same time, if you were serious about one day getting a full type s swap, make sure whatever header and exhaust you get are both for a type s. same for the intake.

Honestly, if I could do it all over again, the only mods I would have done to my car would be swapping to a 4.7 final drive, and a k24 short block.

·
Forever Slow
7,740 Posts
Your base looks so clean. And yeah. It's a lot of mods. But say 5k cash. Compared to a 10-15k stock type s. I'm contemplating it. Lots. Hmm.. You just make me ponder it more. If I were to just get a type s. within even a year. I would label the k pro as a pointless upgrade. Unless I took my ecu when I sold the car. My paint job is shit. Even though I have a 3000$ receipt for it labelled in August from previous owner.
You really think all the upgrades I want to do, wouldn't be worth it ? I got spanked so bad by an accord. Fuck you base model. Accord was definitely 2012 or tuned to shit. Probably both. But still. I am regretting the base. But it was all I could afford. And it's not a bad first vehicle. I can't complain at all. I dream of type s. but I'm not sure if it is all to plausible.
Thanks for the compliment bro! K-Pro wouldn't be a bad investment right now, you can swap it into your new RSX if you decide to. Just need a base ECU to fill it's place.

I would just drive the base til you have more money for something else. Still hear some people saying the Type-S is slow (which for most, it is). But all and all, if you really want near Type-S power, then by all means the mods you have listed are good.

To be honest, I would keep my RSX til the rust is eating through everything. I love it to death. If I were to have more money, I do a K24 swap, upgrade the internals, and slap on a turbo. I would just go for crazy power.

But it is entirely up to you, just know that the A3 isn't a very good motor on its own to be making lots of power. If it's power you crave, then the A3 is not the engine you should be working with.

·
n00bie
36 Posts
To be honest, I would keep my RSX til the rust is eating through everything. I love it to death.
I share that sentiment. When I bought my base, I couldn't have been more stoked.
And then I bought my skyline, and it has always felt slow, but I still love it. All my Nissan buddies beg me to sell it, but I refuse.

If you want an S, you can always go buy one, or do like I'm doing, and do a head swap. It's alot of work, but will be cheaper then buying another car. I'm the kind that likes to get my hands dirty anyway.

And remember, you can't take that intake off your stock without K-pro because of the stupid variable length intake.

·
CRSX Princess
3,167 Posts
...And remember, you can't take that intake off your stock without K-pro because of the stupid variable length intake.
I do plan on getting one eventually, but would I have to get the kpro before I can put the stock type-s one on my base?

·
#selfie
83,462 Posts
You can make the base faster where it is a lot of fun but of course the Type-S will make it easier.

I hit 201whp/159wtq on a base motor but it still felt slow as shit till I swapped a 6 speed tranny with 4.7fd and lsd. Then is was a fun machine :giggity:

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
You can make the base faster where it is a lot of fun but of course the Type-S will make it easier.

I hit 201whp/159wtq on a base motor but it still felt slow as shit till I swapped a 6 speed tranny with 4.7fd and lsd. Then is was a fun machine :giggity:
told ya :mam:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts