Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still tuning....
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My N-tercooler kit will be coming in the mail today, and ill be installing it tomarrow. Friday Ill be dyno tuning everything. What I need to know is...what accesories (sp?) do I need with the kit? Do I need a bottle pressure gauge? does one come with the kit? Do I need a bottle warmer? Purge kit? Is a remote opener really worth the $$?

I know its a lot of questions, but i need to know what all I need to have for the system. Im going to running nitrous not co2. Reason being is that co2 displaces oxygen, which is pointless if it gets anywhere near my intake. As far as the purge kit goes, I would just want it for intimidation....not really function. You figure that all im doing is purging it onto my intercooler.

Let me know what you guys think. thanks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
also, because the air charge coming out of the intercooler will be colder, i would imagine you're going to need some extensive tuning w/ more than 1 map b/c you'll need more fuel if using the n-tercooler...it'd be like the difference in driving on a really warm florrida day then immediatly driving through northern canada in the winter. The difference in air density has to through off the A/F ratio

·
don't know
614 Posts
kracker said:
My N-tercooler kit will be coming in the mail today, and ill be installing it tomarrow. Friday Ill be dyno tuning everything. What I need to know is...what accesories (sp?) do I need with the kit? Do I need a bottle pressure gauge? does one come with the kit? Do I need a bottle warmer? Purge kit? Is a remote opener really worth the $$?
you don't need a purge, bottle warmer, remote opener.

just think about it for a second. a purge is to clear your lines to get good nitrous so you car will run better when you spray into your intake. which your not doing. so you don't have to worry about that. none of the nitrous you spray will be reaching your motor. actually if you think about it your kit IS like one big purge. your purging your nitrous toward your intercooler though. so it gets it real cold. so you don't need a purge kit, its a waste of money unless you just want it for show.

you don't need a bottle warmer cus the pressure is not that big a deal. like i said before, none of the nitrous is reaching your motor. but if you wanna spend the money i ain't gonna stop ya. i'd just rather you send it to me first :D

don't get an opener. i would rather turn around in my seat and turn a knob rather than drop $200+ bucks. althought they do look pretty pimp. there is a guy that comes to our meets with a blown 350Z, and he's got 2 10lb. bottles sitting between the seats and the rear strut bar. they both have openers and are facing toward each other. it looks good!

i would just get the pressure gauge that connects to the tank.

BTW: i have heard of 2 different ways of spraying the IC kit. one is while your running, and the other is right before you run. don't know which one is the right way cus i don't have a turbo and never really paid attention. a friend of mine has the kit and ran both ways. the first run w/o the kit. the second run he sprayed while he was runnin. dropped like .05 sec off his time. third time he ran he sprayed his IC while he was in the lanes till it got all frosty and shit and he dropped like .2 sec. (give or take) when he ran. just wonderin how you plan on doin it? :thumbsup:

·
Still tuning....
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i figured that about the purge valve....but it would look sweet. If i can find one cheap (like $50) then i might do it.

The kit comes with a purge button for the staging lanes and then a WOT switch. I'll be running both when want to spray it, but mostly just at the track or on the weekend.

I knew that I would have to run two different maps, and Ill be spending a lot of time on the dyno tomarrow. Ill defintly post up the results. I figured I'll tune the car for 18lbs without spraying it, and then for probley 18 or 20 lbs when i am spraying it.

Last time at 17lbs i pulled 344whp with 300ft-lbs...on 18's and taking in 140 degree air. So Im hoping this time tuned to 18lbs to be around 360whp. Last time i tuned my a/f was 11:1 at 8k, this time ill take it up to around 12:1...maybe 12.3-12.5:1. When i do spray it with 20lbs Im going to be runnin some 112 octane just to be safe. With 20lbs and the sprayer Im hoping to be knocking on the door of 400whp and 320ish ft-lbs.

hey k20a2racer, how does your buddy like the kit?? Has he had it on the dyno? I know that his times dropped, but im wondering if you can actually feel the difference or what? thanks.

·
don't know
614 Posts
kracker said:
hey k20a2racer, how does your buddy like the kit?? Has he had it on the dyno? I know that his times dropped, but im wondering if you can actually feel the difference or what? thanks.
dunno, i will ask him tonight.

·
Still tuning....
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think ive came to a conclusion. The n-tercooler sucks ass. I used a whole (5lbs) bottle on the dyno today and the temp only dropped like 10-15 degrees on the intake temp.

Not to mention on my second run a pipe blew off the intercooler and I had to call the tuning short to go home and find out what the problem was.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
kracker said:
I think ive came to a conclusion. The n-tercooler sucks ass. I used a whole (5lbs) bottle on the dyno today and the temp only dropped like 10-15 degrees on the intake temp.

Not to mention on my second run a pipe blew off the intercooler and I had to call the tuning short to go home and find out what the problem was.
refer to my point about mixed responses to it, but it's good to finally hear someone firsthand about it.

·
Still tuning....
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to sell it and get a new clutch instead. I was thinking about getting the ACT 6-puck. Whats the difference between the 6-puck and 4-puck?? they both can hold 433ft-lbs. Does the 6 puck engauge smoother?

Then after the clutch Ill do a custom 3" from mid-downpipe back. Reason I cant do 3" from turbo back is because Im running the revhard "log" manifold and nobody has one out for it. Real quick question. For the muffler on the 3" should I go with a apexi N1, thermal R&D, HKS, JIC??? I just want something with a good sound. thanks.

·
Not Plugged In
10,045 Posts
your supposed to spray at idle, not while your racing... b/c some nitrous can get into your motor, causing you to run lean. when you spray, you don't know how much your spraying on the intercooler.. so if it goes in your motor, you have no way to measure/control the shot - so even if your tuned for the intercooler setup.. if it gets inside your air flow.. you can run the motor lean.

it looks nice for show, but a waste of 600 bucks.. i rather just spray ice chilled water on my intercooler - safer! and if some gets in the motor, the hot airflow will just evaporate it

·
Still tuning....
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It comes with a WOT switch so its suppose to be run while on the track. If any is injested, it would be a minimal amount. It also has a purge so you can hit it in the staging lanes. $600?!?! if you pay that much then you got a new one ripped, and didnt even get a reach-around. lol. Also, spraying water on your intercooler isnt allowed at NHRA tracks (ones that follow the guidelines) and not to mention it would probley get your ass chewed out by other people for getting water on the track.

I would consider selling it, really. I took the spray bar to work and polished it with a buffing wheel. So its polished aluminum...same look as chrome. It looks tight as hell, but Im not into the show car stuff as much. If you are interested I would do $325 shipped. Its only been filled one time, and comes with everything and anything that a brand new kit does...even the sticker. Let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.