Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm currently spraying a Holley 75 shot wet kit. I'm about to buy a race header this week and also this "QTEC" flange that electronically opens a flange off a Y-Pipe at the end of the header. This basically just means the exhaust will be running open header when the flange is open. i also just ordered casper's o2 sim.

Well anyways, I have two questions:

1) With the race header and the qtec flanged closed (RH and stock exhaust), will the o2 sim cause any problems and potentially cause me to run too lean and blow? I'm just not sure because with the o2 sim, the ECU isn't getting any readings at all from the exhaust and won't be compensating a/f.

2) With the RH, casper's o2 sim, and the QTEC flange open (open header), will this lean me out enough to pop the motor? I was hoping someone else on here has run a wet kit on open header, otherwise I know the only way to really check is to dyno run it. I'm also picking up a apexi vafc2, but not to manipualte any a/f - only for monitoring.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aw fudge, new question also:

will casper's o2 sim allow me to even run the vaf2 for monitoring a/f??? I'm guessing not, but if anyone can help me out then :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
dav06rsx said:
Hey everyone,

I'm currently spraying a Holley 75 shot wet kit. I'm about to buy a race header this week and also this "QTEC" flange that electronically opens a flange off a Y-Pipe at the end of the header. This basically just means the exhaust will be running open header when the flange is open. i also just ordered casper's o2 sim.

Well anyways, I have two questions:

1) With the race header and the qtec flanged closed (RH and stock exhaust), will the o2 sim cause any problems and potentially cause me to run too lean and blow? I'm just not sure because with the o2 sim, the ECU isn't getting any readings at all from the exhaust and won't be compensating a/f.

2) With the RH, casper's o2 sim, and the QTEC flange open (open header), will this lean me out enough to pop the motor? I was hoping someone else on here has run a wet kit on open header, otherwise I know the only way to really check is to dyno run it. I'm also picking up a apexi vafc2, but not to manipualte any a/f - only for monitoring.
... why in the hell do you wanna run open at the cat, when you're already running a race header?

I've seen people use the cutouts when keeping the stock cat, etc, emissions basically.

You really have no idea just how loud it is, it's that loud.

Theres still 2 o2 sensors, the first one you wanna make sure is good and in, as thats what keeps your ass alive.

Second one is just an emissions nag.

Again, i'm gonna advise against the cutout, simply for noise reasons.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL i wouldnt plan on driving around open header or anything.

I thought that the nitrous shot would gain a bit more hp from running open though. It's an electronically controlled flange though, so I would only use it IF I got noticeable gains and only when I plan on taking my car to the drag strip to see what I can run. Do you think I would notice any gains at all while squeezing (noise aside)? I wasn't quite sure, but I thought that nitrous likes less back pressure.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry if this is a forum n00b question, but what is +10? dB?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Oside Jimc said:
Enough noise to alert every cop from TJ, Oceanside, El Centro, and every cop in between.
:iamwiths: More air (n2o) and fuel mean a bigger explosion in the cylinder making the exhaust much LOUDER .

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought the header with the cutout (it was purchased before this thread:( ). installed it, hated it, removed it and got a replacement pipe welded on where the flange was.

I guess the seller forgot to mention that even with the flange closed there is a major exhaust leak through the edges of the open/close flap thing.

Wrong forum, but I just have to say that I LOVE the RH with the Apexi GT Exhaust. Can't wait to refill my bottle and run my buddie's STi again...:D

POMONA Next Saturday for any locals....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts