Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to run nitrous with toda cams or are they to agressive. Would i be better off using itr cams and nitrous. I have the kpro so i know it possible to run itr cams and nitrous just wanted to know if it was a bad idea to run todas and n2o

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Same here, thinking of going this route

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Yes you can. Considering the fact that your only using the nitrous 0.008 of the time is better to go with an NA camshaft, compared to a FI cam. You will still need to tune it to perform at its best though.

·
JLA Bitches!
14,394 Posts
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=199958&highlight=toda

The Toda Kit is tuned for NA and is very agressive in that nature. Not very feasible to go with the Toda Kit and spray nitrous on top of it. I can be done but will definitely set you back a few. Might as well just throw on a turbo to start and save yourself some money.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You certinaly can- just make sure you retard your ignition properly (which is no problem w/a K-Pro) -make sure it's tuned properly, and dont get greedy or do anything stupid (use the built-in window switch too :thumbsup: )

·
JLA Bitches!
14,394 Posts
Hobbes said:
You certinaly can- just make sure you retard your ignition properly (which is no problem w/a K-Pro) -make sure it's tuned properly, and dont get greedy or do anything stupid (use the built-in window switch too :thumbsup: )
No one is saying it's not doable (hmm... that's not quite a real word) it's just not reasonable. It's like buying a turbo kit and installing deciding to raise the compression just so you have to lower the boost to 2psi. It doesn't make sense to get cams that are tuned for NA and something that runs most effiecently with advanced timing just to retard the timing. It's doing one thing and in order to do a second thing to compromise the function of the first add-on. Lots of reason why I don't support a SC with nitrous on a street car. You will have to use a small shot of nitrous with SC when you could have just upped the boost on the SC in the first place or could have just went with a bigger shot. It's a waste of money to use the Toda kit with nitrous just to retard the timing. For the price of both you could have gotten a turbo kit putting out more power.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You only retard the ignition while spraying nitrous, not all the time. Also, you sure tune the car a bit more conservatively (w/o nitrous)- and this will only cost you >5hp. -It's a very logical setup

·
JLA Bitches!
14,394 Posts
Hobbes said:
You only retard the ignition while spraying nitrous, not all the time. Also, you sure tune the car a bit more conservatively (w/o nitrous)- and this will only cost you >5hp. -It's a very logical setup
>5HP is off. The cams are made and tuned for advanced timing. They run best with the right amount of timing. You're car will run like shit when you retard the timing with very agressive cams. It will definitely work out just fine, it is just not very cost efficient to do this. NA setups are made and tuned just for that. NA, doing any type of forced induction will cause problems. In order to fix those problems, you compromise the reason to even install NA performance driven parts in the first place. It makes no sense to do it. If money grew on trees, sure no problem. But if money grew on trees, I wouldn't be driving an RSX.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Correct, but, if done correctly, you only retard the ignition while the nitrous is activated. You keep a very similar base map (w/n2o) - with the same/similar timing, so while you're driving w/o nitrous (most of the time) your performance is not comprimised

·
JLA Bitches!
14,394 Posts
Hobbes said:
Correct, but, if done correctly, you only retard the ignition while the nitrous is activated. You keep a very similar base map (w/n2o) - with the same/similar timing, so while you're driving w/o nitrous (most of the time) your performance is not comprimised
Yes you are correct, but I am talking about when on the juice. I'm just going to throw in numbers off the top of my head and aren't meant to be accurate or anything, just an example.

Stock Type S - 175whp
Type S with Toda Kit - 220whp
Type S with Toda Kit and 50 shot N2O - 230whp

230? Well, because having to "de-tune" the aggressive nature of the Toda cams will drop the hp down to close to stock. Therefore making it pointless to have wasted all that money on the n2o in the first place. Now if there were more money put into it to protect the motor and keeping the aggressive timing and being able to spray, then that would be worthwhile. Most "street cars" though won't make it to that level. It is a waste of money is what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh ok- misunderstood you- but it wouldn't be THAT bad geez =\ - but yes, a 50 shot wouldn't add the same 50 hp with a normal cam as opposed to an aggressive cam- yet it would still make more power, especially on the top end- If a car makes 200bhp on a stock cam and 230bhp on an aftermarket, you would be closer to 250bhp and 275bhp w/a 50 shot. ---worth it?- up to the driver

·
cracker jack box driver
2,997 Posts
yup and if ur planing on going with nitrous go with the crower nitrous cams and i would probably build up with a lot of crower parts over the toda stuff when goin with nitrous. but again like alpha said most street cars wont make it to that level.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Honestly, just go Toda / another mild N/A setup and spray n2o ... retarding the ignition will not net a large power loss, and it's a good setup for a street car. -- edit to my previous statement: you will actually probably have a higher peak # than the amount of n2o you spray because engines make more power w/the ignition retarded at high rpms. - The amt of hp lost with a semi-aggressive n2o cam is minimal, even at lower/middle rpms. Project... sorry, but 10hp w/ a 50 shot :questionm - no- even if "not accurate" - way off :blah:

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
Hobbes said:
Honestly, just go Toda / another mild N/A setup and spray n2o ... retarding the ignition will not net a large power loss, and it's a good setup for a street car. -- edit to my previous statement: you will actually probably have a higher peak # than the amount of n2o you spray because engines make more power w/the ignition retarded at high rpms. - The amt of hp lost with a semi-aggressive n2o cam is minimal, even at lower/middle rpms. Project... sorry, but 10hp w/ a 50 shot :questionm - no- even if "not accurate" - way off :blah:
his main point is that from the get go, you're goin with two things that just don't go together. advanced timing and nitrous = detonation.

alas, believe it or not, people do mod their cars without visiting us here at clubrsx, and most people that do screw shit up, don't have the balls to come back and say "lookie what i did" :wavey:

best of luck :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts