Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just found a nail in my rear tire. it's dead center on the tire. i know that it's repairable, but can you guys give me an approximate cost of the labor just to remove the tire? plugging a hole might be like $20 but what about the cost of removing and installing the tire?

thanks.

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
if your just gonna plug it up, just take the wheel off and take it to a tire shop... but honestly...its pretty shady plugging up a motorcycle tire...

i know its in the center, but if you do canyon running and the contact patch is on the side while cornering. it could blow the plug out...

·
9,233 Posts
My buddy got charged $250 to change front and rear tires on his GSXR 750. ehhhhh, i wouldnt pay 250, i would say for one tire you should be good with 75-100 bucks if you don't know anyone who can give you a deal.

Since you're new to riding like me, and maybe you don't know much about bikes, it would be better to just pay a little more at a place you KNOW where it'll be done right. thats just me .02

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
My buddy got charged $250 to change front and rear tires on his GSXR 750. ehhhhh, i wouldnt pay 250, i would say for one tire you should be good with 75-100 bucks if you don't know anyone who can give you a deal.

Since you're new to riding like me, and maybe you don't know much about bikes, it would be better to just pay a little more at a place you KNOW where it'll be done right. thats just me .02
75-100 bucks? for what? including the tire?

if your homeboy got it for 250 installed including tires...thats a steal...he must of got some brick hard tires that dont grip for shit

i payed a total of 325 for front and rear pilot powers...and i took the wheels to them to get installed...

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
There's been huge debate on whether or not patch a tire. I personally would not.

Reason:

While there's not that much pressure being applied compared to the weight of the car, the contact patch of the bike tire is much smaller. Plus, the tire is only rated for the speeds when the tire is at full integrity.

Not to mention, that if you blow a tire...you're sorta screwed. In a car, you can patch because well, you got a lot more rubber, and you got 3 more wheels to keep you on solid footing.

If you can't afford to swap tires, I would recommend patching it up and not pushing it hard on your bike. While not likely, any chance for a blowout is a chance that can be avoided by simply swaping tires out.

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's been huge debate on whether or not patch a tire. I personally would not.

Reason:

While there's not that much pressure being applied compared to the weight of the car, the contact patch of the bike tire is much smaller. Plus, the tire is only rated for the speeds when the tire is at full integrity.

Not to mention, that if you blow a tire...you're sorta screwed. In a car, you can patch because well, you got a lot more rubber, and you got 3 more wheels to keep you on solid footing.

If you can't afford to swap tires, I would recommend patching it up and not pushing it hard on your bike. While not likely, any chance for a blowout is a chance that can be avoided by simply swaping tires out.
well crap..

i actually want michelin pilot powers 2ct right now lol. but, i can't really afford it, especially since i am saving up for an arata exhaust. :(

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
um the 2 cts arent worth it unless ur constantly on the sides... the corsa 3s are the best because the stickier sides are more bigger...its good if you commute because you can round the tire again with a day of canyon riding.

8,021 Posts
well crap..

i actually want michelin pilot powers 2ct right now lol. but, i can't really afford it, especially since i am saving up for an arata exhaust. :(
Tires > exhaust

Unless you want to sit in your driveway and just rev your bike lol

·
trunk monkey
6,180 Posts
i've had that happen before and i used a regular tire plug so i could still ride till i got new tires. it worked fine BUT i won't do that again. Every time i went out i was just waiting for the tire to blow.

·
Ay BAY BAY
1,480 Posts
hey dont mean to thread jack but i didnt see a point in opening a new thread. i just got a nail in my front tire and im ordering a new front tire. im getting the same brand of tire (metzeler) but a different model. would that be ok? i heard its not good to mix n match. my front is dunlop but my rear was metzeler( i bought it like that)

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
i hit the twisties on the weekends but im still new so not really hard riding i guess.
yeah if your not really riding hard that you can see your tires shred up...then you should be fine....the only big difference is if its totally different compounds...like really soft fronts and hard rear...or vice versa

what metzler rear do you have now? and what are you getting for your front now? might as well just match them

Reactions: vi3trascal

·
Ay BAY BAY
1,480 Posts
yeah if your not really riding hard that you can see your tires shred up...then you should be fine....the only big difference is if its totally different compounds...like really soft fronts and hard rear...or vice versa

what metzler rear do you have now? and what are you getting for your front now? might as well just match them
the metzeler on the rear is the sportec m3 and the front im getting is me880. the reason im not getting a matching one is cuz i dont have the funds right now. i dont wanna totally cheap out and plug it for now so i decided to go with a new tire that was in my budget range

·
Ay BAY BAY
1,480 Posts
so update on my tire situation, i went to cycle gear and i decided to go with a matching tire as my rear. i got the metzeler sportec m3 for 133 and bought the warrant so if i get another nail in it they will replace it depending on thread wear. they were busy so they couldn install it, so i took it to motogio (shop in san jose) and they installed it for 30. guys at cycle gear were really helpful and motogio was also very friendly. i also checked out some of the prices at motogio and they have really good deals

1 - 20 of 24 Posts