Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After buying my 06 RSX Type S I took it to my mechanic to check it out and he said that the crack shaft had too much end play. From the looks of it my engine is going to be seizing up soon. I no longer drive the car. I just need some advice on what to do. I was looking at putting a k24 in because at first glance it seemed cheaper, but now I'm not too sure. My other idea was that maybe I would be able to rebuild the engine in there? But, from what some people say my engine might already be toast. My current budget is $5000. I have no idea if this is enough to fix the car or not. I just need some advice from people who know what they're talking about. Thank you!

·
Registered
2006 Vivid Blue Pearl RSX Type-S/1995 Delsol VTEC
30 Posts
If you just put a K24 in your car and thats it you would probably be about the same assuming your current engine is rebuildable.

Once you start building a motor on the side, its easy to get carried away with unnecessary or show pieces. Thats where you will blow your budget.

You have alot of options. You could pull the motor and head and get a used bottom end. You could send the block off to a machine shop and have them check all the specs if you dont feel comfortable doing that. If the block is good you can just rebuild it and put it back in. You could buy the K24 and swap it. If your budget and time allows you to do so I would look into a K24 block and K20 head combo.

Reactions: DownLandOrange

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have the time and or space you can also just grab a donor type s with a bad shell and swap engines. Keeps the rest for parts and or sell the good stuff quickly.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you have Kpro, definitely do the K24 swap. Even keeping the K24 stock would be a noticeable torque improvement, which in my opinion makes these cars more daily drivable. If you have time, use the K20A2 head with the K24 bottom, but of course that is more work. Rebuilding the K20A2 doesn't seem worth it unless you plan to double your budget.

Check the build on my RSX base 5 speed for an idea of how much it costs to do a stock JDM K24 swap.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Do you trust the guy--any noises and what led you to get it checked?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts