Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

So I live in North NJ where paint jobs don't last. Paid $200 for my bumper to be done, and it didn't even last a year. Not doing it again. How hard would it be to tackle this myself and how much paint required? Would the entire bumper need to be done (in which case I'm not doing it...) or could I get away with blended the immediate surroundings to the point it at least looks better than it currently does...

See pic below. Or should I just throw an over-sized band-aid on it and call it a day...I can't stand to look at this bumper anymore

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Hey All,

So I live in North NJ where paint jobs don't last. Paid $200 for my bumper to be done, and it didn't even last a year. Not doing it again. How hard would it be to tackle this myself and how much paint required? Would the entire bumper need to be done (in which case I'm not doing it...) or could I get away with blended the immediate surroundings to the point it at least looks better than it currently does...

See pic below. Or should I just throw an over-sized band-aid on it and call it a day...I can't stand to look at this bumper anymore

paint the bumper its not hard, good learning experience..... unless its black then everything you do will show. IMO go to harbor freight buy a cheapy gun, go find an air compressor (30 gal size, 5 cfms at least) go to a sherwin williams automotive or equivalent local paint shop get a quart of color matched paint (dont just give the door code and get that otherwise its new paint on old paint) get some clear and call it a day, return gun to harbor freight.

the list:
-cheapy gun (harbor freight)
-pint (or quart if your feeling skeptical) of unreduced or ready to spray whatevers cheaper
- clear coat (you can buy ready to spray from an auto parts retailer or paint shop)
- paint thinner (clean gun between uses)

OR

- Rice out
- Buy 2 cans of color matched paint (paint shop, sherwin williams automotive does it)
- One can of 2k clear

Obviously the 2nd is the cheapest and most practical, if its a daily and you just wanna fug around do this one. Either way make sure u get a color chip from the paint shop and match it to your car, i painted my hood and bumper (see show thread) in the garage, came out great, exact paint matching not so much....

·
エアロキット&#
5,669 Posts
^I have done the 2nd method on my car- it works well.

The only downside to it is, if you do a lot of taking your bumper on and off- prone to flexing and what not- since the 2k clear doesn't have flex additive to it, it tends to flake off easily.

But who knows, maybe this is just in my case. I don't think this would be as much of an issue on a metal fender though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
holy hazed headlights

$200 is cheap for a bumper. likely poorly prepped and not primered and prepped properly.

Lol got retrofits on the way. They must have not been sealed properly after black out, bought it like that.

The bumper was done very well. Just didn't hold up to city parking where people park like morons. It was flawless

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^I have done the 2nd method on my car- it works well.

The only downside to it is, if you do a lot of taking your bumper on and off- prone to flexing and what not- since the 2k clear doesn't have flex additive to it, it tends to flake off easily.

But who knows, maybe this is just in my case. I don't think this would be as much of an issue on a metal fender though.
This may be my route, just looking for something passable. It probably won't last with city parking. I dont take my bumper off much

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Using adhesion promoter gives the paint some flexibility but not a lot, if he's just gonna can the bumper I feel like 2k clear would be overkill. Nothing wrong with the duplicolor colormaster gloss clear, I use it on all my diy stuff and lays on pretty well for a can plus its 5 bux and doesn't have a 1 day shelf life after first use. Please wear a mask x2

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
The key is prep work. Sand the shit out of even back down to plastic if you want too (youll get the cleanest look)

Sand it and clean it up then prime it get a good flexible plastic primer. Put on 2 thin coats, you can wet sand the primer if youd like if not its fine. Then paint over the primer. Couple even thin coats is key. Then get a good flexible clear coat, a bumper will even flex with temperature changes it is plastic afte rall.

Once done clearing the best way to get a good clean job is to wet sand the clear coat then buff to a high mirror shine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts