Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. On the roof of my '96 VW Passat, I have two spots where birdcrap has eaten through the clearcoat. Each of them is about 2" x 3". So the paint is exposed by a good-sized area and I want to get it taken care of asap. I'm a pretty big newb about paint. Ok I'm a complete newb. Here is my plan, can anyone offer any insight or advice?

-Spraycan of clearcoat
-Spraycan of my car's paint (Just in case I go through to the metal)
-Mask off all areas around where I am sanding/putting clearcoat on

I'm not too sure on what grit to use. I was thinking maybe 800 wetsand it, but should I go to 400 grit? I honestly have no idea. And for actually spraying it, what technique should I use. I have an idea of what "stroke" to use with the spraycan, but I don't know how to describe it. Anyone with experience can you offer some advice?

Thanks for the help guys. And the reason why I want to do this even if it is a shitty job is just to protect the paint. I don't feel like dishing out the money to get the whole roof stripped and repainted so I'm just going to have at it myself.

(Sorry for posting this in some other forums I wasnt sure where to put it).

·
Four Rings
5,094 Posts
is the clearcoat completely gone?

EDIT: i think this forum is fine for your question.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there are two spots on my roof where th clearcoat is gone and peeling back around the edges of the spot. One is a circle 1" diameter or so, and the other is like a 2" x 3" rectangle :( Damn birds!!! Anyway, I'm going to do this either friday morning or saturday so wish me luck! :D

·
Four Rings
5,094 Posts
Jadis said:
Yes there are two spots on my roof where th clearcoat is gone and peeling back around the edges of the spot. One is a circle 1" diameter or so, and the other is like a 2" x 3" rectangle :( Damn birds!!! Anyway, I'm going to do this either friday morning or saturday so wish me luck! :D
well, if the clearcoat is gone...youll need it completely resprayed....i dunno about doing it yourself. Make sure you clean the area up really well, like sand, wash, clay the area well, then wash.

·
Complete Part Out
16,861 Posts
i think in order to apply a new clearcoat, the base coat underneath it should be fresh

hopefully 03k20a2 can chime in, i think he works at an autobody shop

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well im going to sand the paint a tad, obviously, to get the clearcoat to stick better. and although i hope it comes out looking half decent, im just doing this to protect the paint because i dont have money to get it done professionally. so if i fuck it up and it looks bad ... oh well :D

dont see why the paint underneath would need to be 'fresh'. thicker is better, yeah, but if i sand a bit off the exposed paint (hopefully not down to the metal), it should be "fresh" i guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts