Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The power of Dreams
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i origonaly purchased a wilwood brake kit for the front, but the seller fell through, and i kindof glad he did. the kit looked nice, but i didnt research into it before i bought it, and im not going to be tracking the car i just daily drive it. im proubly going to just buy the stop tech stage 2 kit now; however i prefer the look of the slotted rotor to the look of the drilled. But i have heard that with the slotted rotors it actually shaves the pad surface during each time the brakes are applied, to insure i guess less brake fade, causing decreased pad life? i have also heard that the cross drilled do not cause any excess pad wear, all they do is keep the pads and rotors cooler. so my question is after all that bs, is it worth it for a daily driver to buy the slotted rotors, or will pad life be greatly reduced compared to the cross drilled rotors?

and by the way, the stop tech kit really seems like a great deal for the money, i researched into buying all rotors and pads seperetly and even going with cheaper, not the cheapest, ebay rotors, and hawk pads it still ends up being around 400$, when the stop tech kit is only 60$ more and it comes with ss lines and motul fluid, not that these parts are needed for a daily driver, but i cant find a better deal than this. any advise would be appreciated

·
The power of Dreams
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
is this a stupid question or something? anyone with the stoptech kit have any anything to say about it, pad life, braking quality, noise, overall quality?

·
Slow in Fast out
2,884 Posts
Slotted rotors just wipe the boundary layer. On the street.. no point but I guess its the new trend.. I mean at least they look cool.
Drilled rotors reduce mass, dust at the boundary layer, and reduce pad taper. Prone to cracking but then again they look cool.
Both will decrease pad life. Blanks are the way to go but if you have no choice slotted will do just fine. Get some good street pads (such as the axis ults) and brake fluid.

·
GT30R > Traction
3,829 Posts
it is saturday and sunday, people usually check the forum during work hours :p
LOl it's Monday and I'm at work.....

stoptech is an excellent choice- thats my recommendation
I would also vote stoptech if I was choosing between the two but if your looking to stop faster don't worry about your brakes get better tires. drilled rotors are pointless unless you just want cool looking rotors.

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts
i origonaly purchased a wilwood brake kit for the front, but the seller fell through, and i kindof glad he did. the kit looked nice, but i didnt research into it before i bought it, and im not going to be tracking the car i just daily drive it. im proubly going to just buy the stop tech stage 2 kit now; however i prefer the look of the slotted rotor to the look of the drilled. But i have heard that with the slotted rotors it actually shaves the pad surface during each time the brakes are applied, to insure i guess less brake fade, causing decreased pad life? i have also heard that the cross drilled do not cause any excess pad wear, all they do is keep the pads and rotors cooler. so my question is after all that bs, is it worth it for a daily driver to buy the slotted rotors, or will pad life be greatly reduced compared to the cross drilled rotors?

and by the way, the stop tech kit really seems like a great deal for the money, i researched into buying all rotors and pads seperetly and even going with cheaper, not the cheapest, ebay rotors, and hawk pads it still ends up being around 400$, when the stop tech kit is only 60$ more and it comes with ss lines and motul fluid, not that these parts are needed for a daily driver, but i cant find a better deal than this. any advise would be appreciated
I bought the Stop-Tech stage 2 kit that you are talking about with the drilled rotors. My friend had said the same thing about the slots scraping away the pads... So I went for the drilled. I absolutely love the kit and you will too. I'd say get what you want. Either way you will be happy.

BTW, where are you getting the kit from for so cheap? I paid about $700 for mine.

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts
Never mind, I just checked the site I got mine from and the slotted are $477, while the drilled are $610 both plus shipping, so ~$700 for me and cheaper for you.

Get some good street pads (such as the axis ults) and brake fluid.
The kit comes with Axxis Ultimate pads and Motul RBF600 as well as the SS lines and rotors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts