Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... My lovely mother backed into my RSX this morning in our garage and hit my front bumper. Now i've got 2" long and .25" wide area of chipped paint. Can i get this painted to look like it was never hit??? I'll get a new damn bumper if it even looks like it was hit a little bit! I've had the god damn car for a MONTH!! SUCH A GOD DAMN BURN!!! So i wanna know if you guys have every painted deep sctratches and how it looks.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
is it a scuff or actual paint chip? a professional detailer might be able to fix a scuff w/out having to pain tthe bumper. but if its an actual chip they wil have to repaint.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its an actual chip. I took it to a few body/paint shops today... they both said you either have to use touch up paint (which may or may not look good) or get the entire bumper repainted. I HATE having a scratch on my new car but i dont know if i wanna spend 400 bucks to get the entire bumper painted. Also... i've heard that process and paint applied at bodyshops isnt of the same quality as the manufactured process and paint... thus under the sun the paint may fade and show a contrast between it and the rest of my car.I think im gonna give the touch up paint a try... if it looks crappy then i'll get it painted. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
i think touch up paint might look crappy, if going to a body shop, ask to see pictures and/or and actual paint job they have done for credibility. not all body shops are rip off's. take it to acura and find out who they send their cars to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to work at a car dealership here in Vegas. We would send cars out all the time to get paint chips repainted. Like the other guy said ask to look at photos to see what there work looks like. Also take into account that there only going to show you there best photos. I know it can be done. Another think you can do is call around to different car dealerships and ask who they go through. Car dealerships will normally use a paint shop that'll make it look factory again. You can't sell a new car with a crappy paint job. Good Luck :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
The shop I use offers to blend the paint for about $70.
Blending doesn't repaint the whole bumper, they try to match it into the paint around the chip and just paint the area. With metallic paints you can often tell where it was blended since the flake looks off.

I don't know how my shop did it, but I can't tell where they sprayed. It's a seamless blend.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Most car dealers that have used cars have an airbrush artist they use to touch up used cars they have to sell. I had a 01 Jetta Wolfsburg (Black) a few years back (totalled by the way by an Escalade), and someone decided to key my driver door for parking in front of their yard on the street for a couple days. I went home to greenville SC and took my car to the Ford dealer we know. He has a guy that for about $50 to airbrush and blend the paint in. That was the entire car, wherever scratches were. It was such a deep cut that up close you could tell but walking up to the car you couldnt. My .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts