Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
WAHHHH!!!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im young and dont know much about cars except for the fact i love my rsx. Its not a type s and i got it as a birthday present from my brother after he got his new car. It has 50,000 miles on it and the i-vtec 2.0 liter engine.

My question is
before i started working on it i wanted to know if In the long run would it be benificial to swap out the parts to make it a type s first? I didnt want to be lame and go trade it in for a type s and i kno i cant afford to do that either. How much would it cost? and can someone point me in the right direction with a thread or anything? I did search but what i found i didnt understand.

thank you

·
Certified Increadible
2,459 Posts
its a different motor and tranny... you would be better off swapping out a k24 motor out of a tsx and get a kpro unit, its not a cheap deal though... a motor could be around $3-4k, tranny could be 1k, kpro about 800 and install could run you over 1k, but even if you were to do the k20a2 motor... its not going to be much cheaper... jsut a heads up you might be better off waiting or trading in...

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I dont think trading it in would be lame, it would be an upgrade. Going from an S to a base would be lame. Now if you cant afford it thats another story. Not sure how young you are and your situation but if you looked around you may just find an S you can afford.

·
WAHHHH!!!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well if i got a type s i would sell my car, but in the end would it be cheaper or smarter to swap out the parts or just go ahead and sell my car and get a type s?

moneys not so much of an issue. its just i dont have it to drop just on any givin day i have to save... ...a lot : )

·
YUMADTHO
5,261 Posts
You should be able to fetch a decent amount selling your base; the money you'd save not upgrading it you could put towards the purchase of a Type-S, and probably not even have to finance any of it.

·
UnDr PrShR
1,854 Posts
Be grateful you have a rsx, base or type-s. Especially if your young you prolly couldn't afford insurance on a type-s and a car payment. So just sport the base for now and b happy w/it.

·
WAHHHH!!!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Be grateful you have a rsx, base or type-s. Especially if your young you prolly couldn't afford insurance on a type-s and a car payment. So just sport the base for now and b happy w/it.
i agree but see the thing i worry about is puting my time and money into it (i want to learn and find out how to do it all myself) just to find out ive maxed out the performance and ide have to start all over with a new motor/tranny.

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
learn basic things on it (oil changes, belt changes, compression tests, etc etc etc.) there are so many things you can learn from even a lowly base without modding. Once you feel comfortable knowing everything about the base, and cars in general, you'd have saved enough money for the type S, and then you can buy it, having a great head start on working on it, since you know all the basics already.

·
9k FTW
3,196 Posts
to turn your base into a type s you'll spend alot more than you would just selling and buying a type-s, trust me. You're talking engine swap, tranny swap, bigger brakes, painted lowers, and the craptastic bose. forgive me if i forgot anything.

If I bought a base and wanted to swap, I'd do a type-R swap. Swap all the same things but the parts are a bit harder to find. But don't worry about the radio, since stock bose is crap anyway though

Either enjoy your base, or prepare to spend a ton in parts and labor, hoping you can sell your stock stuff to make up part of it, or man up and realize that you'll have a car payment and just trade for an S. Not many other options there

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Don't swap anything or do anything.

Enjoy the car for what it is and thank your brother for being so damn generous. Drive it to work and save your cash. Take good care of it so you get more when you trade it in for a real car. :p

·
9k FTW
3,196 Posts
if you swap a k24 block, wouldnt that be better than a type r swap? im just asking tho dun flame me
k24 block with a2 head would be, TSX if you want to go NA or CRV for boost. I think that would be even more costly to preform though then just a straight type-r swap, plus junk/salvage yard scrounging to find your parts. the whole thing would just be much more finicky, though for a big build better off in the long run

·
WAHHHH!!!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i decided to keep the car and just add the parts available for na purposes and make it look good (or should i say better) and add some performance while im saving up for a better car when im older. I mostly want to do this so i can gain some knowledge about cars and ive always loved doing things myself. plus with all the lessons and friendly people it makes it realy easy to learn.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i think u should leave it alone, its too much work to bother with, a waste of money, time, headaches, even if you know what you're doing.

either save up some cash for a trade in. a certified used type s, would prob be a great choice, but with mods you'd void ur warranty, and if u mess up the car, its ur only car.

or you could always use the RSX for everday driving, and save up for a project car, thats what im doing and i have a type-s. its great for show, but im not going to void the warranty when i can save up for something on the side i wont have to worry about screwing up as much

·
WAHHHH!!!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well thats good advice, i however have always wanted to do something like this, i love projects and im not gona go overboard. Mostly doing it so i can enjoy driving it (edit MORE :)) around and seeing the car take shape over time. i make enough money to be able to buy something ocaisonaly still be able to save up and to me if im enjoying it its not a waste of money. When i get a new car it will be a good while off and ill have the money by then regardless because its not like my entire pay checks goin to my car. If all else fails i have a old civic hatch that can get from here to there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
lmao i'm just like u thinkin about makin a type s into an r since the r isn't sold here in the states...but i kow that it's not worht hte trouble..it's probably just about the same truble as makin the base n s cuz the r parts are harder to find.

yeah just keep it base and u'll be straight. or sell the base. use that money for a nice downpayment. get a part time job and u'll have extra cash to mod up your s and pay the monthly fees for it as well. ionoa bout insurance but..what are parents for yeah? :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.