Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2003 RSX Type S
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's RSX needed a new starter and with work having me tied up and him having another car it literally took me a year to install it. It had seafoam in the fuel but after getting everything back together the car will fire up and Rev 3 times between 2 and 3k rpms and shut off. Sometimes it will do it 5 times but it's always between 2-3k rpms. It will let me rev it higher if I apply throttle but it always shuts down after 3 to 5 revs. If I unhook the MAP sensor I can keep it running but barely. It spits sputters and pops and shuts down it I let off throttle. The IACV was locked up and I pulled it off and cleaned it really good and got it spinning freely and thought that was the issue but it's doing the exact same thing after cleaning. Only code I can pull is a P0113. I'm at my wits end with this car. Anyone have and ideas of something else I can try??

·
Registered
22 Posts
You need to go through and test for air, spark, compression, fuel, and timing. Timing and compression are probably fine, so I'd check on air, fuel, and spark first. My car wouldn't start after 7 months, and it was the alternator pulley being seized. I guarantee if you test these things though, you'll figure it out. That code indicates an IAT sensor issue. If you have an OBD2 reader you should do a datalog / live view of what temp it thinks the air is. Can also do it with K-Pro if you have that. Datalog you cranking it normally without giving it gas and see what comes out. That will help narrow it down more.

·
2003 RSX Type S
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if this vid will post but this is what it is doing. Have a friend who is a Honda tech and he said replace the MAP sensor. Going to try that once it comes in. I have spark, fuel and timing. Hope it's something that simple but I know this car never makes it easy on me. Lol.

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type-S (99%Stock)
33 Posts
I second a vacuum leak, high revs like that and considering you removed the intake manifold to do the starter right?

Also second checking your p0113 code. On our cars (RSX), these sensors are not part of the MAP sensor like on other cars. This may be why you got advised to change your MAP?

If I was in your position I'd at least double-check the hoses and connectors, then do a spray test around the manifold / throttle body gaskets before changing sensors. If that checks out you can dig further.

·
2003 RSX Type S
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already had the map sensor ordered and the knock sensor that I cracked off installing the starter so I put them on today. Same thing. Gonna try the throttle position sensor and intake air sensor that is throwing the code and if that doesn't do it I'll have it towed and see if they can diagnose it as a vacuum issue. I'll keep you guys updated on the fix since you've been helpful. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't remember which ones, but I recall there are two connectors on/near the throttle body that are similar enough that people have reversed them by accident. I don't recall what symptoms that caused though. Might be worth a quick check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts