Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys, im putting a tein h-tech spring kit on my car. front two went well after i caught on. rear seemed simple but ran into a problem.

i put the new springs on the strut and cut the bumper stop as specified put the assembly back into the place where it goes and put the top bolts on to hold it in place.

when i go to put the 17mm in the bottom though its like 1 1/2" below the hole! :dontknow:
ive tried putting a spring compressor on it while its on the car and tried using a jack to compress it then pull it to line up with the hole and just cant figure this out. ive spend a good 3 hours devising ways to get it lined up and just cant.

any ideas on how to fix the problem? :pray: thank you for all your help guys :thumbsup:

EDIT: my car is on stands in the garage and i have work tomorrow night, please help

·
Sinister Crew
151 Posts
I unbolted all my brake lines and then unbolted the arm holding the rotor assembly up and just pushed the whole thing down until the holes lined up.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
get a socket that is large and will fit through the bottom of where the bolt goes. Put the socket on the jack and jack up the shock. It will require some skill, but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. Use a rubber mallet to fine tune the position the shock.

You also can loosen the bolts that hold the trailing arm on and push down, but that doesn't work as well.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
sometimes I just he-man the suspension arm and pull it down while i use my other hand to line up the holes and shove the bolt in.

Yes and thats with my 22mm rear sway still in.

But if you can jack up the shock somehow from the bottom (WITHOUT IT SLIPPING, SUPER DANGEROUS) then thats the easiest way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sometimes I just he-man the suspension arm and pull it down while i use my other hand to line up the holes and shove the bolt in.

But if you can jack up the shock somehow from the bottom (WITHOUT IT SLIPPING, SUPER DANGEROUS) then thats the easiest way.
tried this, seemed dangerous but nothing bad happened and didnt work like i thought it would

·
Swift and Spurious
1,722 Posts
I always had good luck in the rear with unbolting the sway bar and the upper control arm as mentioned above. It should droop enough to line up with both of them off. Why have a big torsion arm working against you when you're trying to get the trailing arm to move? :p

·
Registered
8,303 Posts

Bah, I've done this 20 times and only had the socket hit me in the balls once! :D J/k.

I've never had a problem.

Here's what I do. I use a large 20mm+ and stick in a long 14mm. Then you just jack the 14mm into the middle of the rear shock and jack up.

·
+ Displacement
604 Posts
Bah, I've done this 20 times and only had the socket hit me in the balls once! :D J/k.

I've never had a problem.

Here's what I do. I use a large 20mm+ and stick in a long 14mm. Then you just jack the 14mm into the middle of the rear shock and jack up.
LOL....

I was gonna suggest the same thing until I read your post.

To the thread starter, use a jack and line up the socket and shocks, jack straight up halfway then use a pry bar to lower the control arm to shove the bolt through. This way the socket is not loaded up that much.

·
DC5 Krew
2,827 Posts
i ahd to have 3 people hanging from the arm to get it down enough to put the bolt through the strut

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
i ahd to have 3 people hanging from the arm to get it down enough to put the bolt through the strut
lol... that'd be funny to see. :laughing:

But yea socket would be a good idea, I don't know why I didnt think of that.

I used like a screw driver.. that'd turn into a dangerous projectile if bad things happened. I also tried using the 1/2" extension. But I can see how the socket would be your best bet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts