Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i am at the point where im about to put my timing chain cover on but i have one thing that is holding me up. the oil pump chain guide bolt is stripped and i need some help on fixing the threads i have already tried tapping it but it seems like the threads are literally stripped. i asume the only option i have is getting a helix coil my question is if anyone has a diy or had this problem before and what they have done to fix it any tips or tricks or help would be great

·
Blank Member
3,891 Posts
If you pulled the threads from the motor you're in a tough spot. I'd suggest just tapping the hole for a slightly larger screw otherwise I wouldn't trust a helix coil inside of a motor. Other option very extreme, weld the hole shut then drill and tap it.

·
Blank Member
3,891 Posts
Also, if the screw isn't long enough you can pull some threads out try a longer screw to begin with. Then jump to other options.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im in a tough spot cause i cant go bigger cause the two bolts for the timing chain guide are not just normal bolts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Drill it out and tap it for a helicoil insert. There's another brand that makes a product similar to helicoils that is supposed to be better but I can't think of it right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts