Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and in need of some help. I've searched this site, youtube, and google but I thought it would be worth a shot to share exactly what happened along with my current situation to see if I can get any other suggestions.

I drive a 05 RSX type S that is stuck in 3rd gear.

Last week the car was stuck in reverse, I had to force it out then it wouldn't go into 1st, 3rd, or 5th.
Once I got the car home I started to check stuff out. Here is what I did so far.

1) I drained the transmission, I was really low so I filled it back up and I was able to shift gears but it was still funky, not going into 1st, 3rd and 5th as smooth, had to rock it into gear but I was able to drive.

2) The shifter box was crappy as well, the ball at the bottom was cracked and the bushing/washer on the linkage to the shifter rod was gone and in pieces at the bottom. I replaced the shifter box yesterday and was able to drive to the store, it shifted into gears a lot easier and smoother but still felt a little funky putting it into 3rd and 5th.

Now just this morning before going about my day, as I was getting on the freeway, shifting the car into 3rd made this crunching sound coming from the linkage/shifter box area (not loud, very subtle) when putting it into 3rd, once I was ready to shift to 4th, nothing........

I had to drive the car off the freeway and back home in 3rd. The car is stuck in the gear with the stick shift moving freely.

Upon searching for solutions past hour or so...I've seen people saying its the linkage.

I just want to get a more a direct answer from asking people.

I would really appreciate any help.

·
Banned
487 Posts
The linkage is a cable setup (2). Honestly none of this sounds good as to the low oil and all. first thing would be to check the shifter to see if the tranny is functioning at that level. Shifter to tranny, It's right on top as to cable location. You did not mention a clutch issue. Start there and hope for the best as 3rd gear is a known "issue" with the RSX.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
What did you find in the drained transmission oil--should have put a magnet or looked for chunks. No chunks, then look at the cable. There will be evidence somewhere as to what is going on.

·
Banned
487 Posts
I doe know...
What did you find in the drained transmission oil--should have put a magnet or looked for chunks. No chunks, then look at the cable. There will be evidence somewhere as to what is going on.
I doe know? My thing is he's already fessed to shifter issues that should have been taken care of a long time ago. I mean sloppy is what sloppy does. Or doesn't do. He let it go on to long. Just like my last marriage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts