Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So two weeks ago my car went from zero issues, no warning or signs to crank but no start one morning out of no where..I've been extremely busy with work during these holidays so little by little, I did basic diagnose whenever I can find time..
Over the two weeks, i ve checked out all fuses, relay, starter, grounds, battery, ckp sensor, sparkplugs, ignition, and fuel pump (went ahead and replace a new pump since I was gonna do it anyways)..
So basically the car has fuel, and spark..And I've pull valve cover to see if timing chain is damage and it checked out good to me...
Now maybe I should've done compression test first thing but I didn't and finally found the motor has zero compression in all cylinders..First I thought It might been a faulty compression gauge so I tried with another one and same results..So now I'm worried if timing chain has jumped and if I've made it worse by cranking numerous times during diagnose past two weeks..I will take off the valve cover again and see if I've damaged anything...What I wanna also know is could a bad ECU cause no compression? I have a reflashed prb..And last time I pulled the valve cover I didn't notice anything tho I ll admit I didn't really check other than the timing chain..Any other possibility for no compression at all other than loose/stretched timing chain? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Since youve cranked it a bunch, can you verify if it is getting fuel. Not sure how many teeth off it would take to bend valves, but if you are not hitting anything partially open valves would give you no compression. A bad ECU will not cause no compression. Compression should exist just by the fact of rings and valves all closed. To have no compression on any cylinder again could be open valves in this case.
I'd verify it's actually sparking at the plug, verify fuel is coming out and the timing is on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since youve cranked it a bunch, can you verify if it is getting fuel. Not sure how many teeth off it would take to bend valves, but if you are not hitting anything partially open valves would give you no compression. A bad ECU will not cause no compression. Compression should exist just by the fact of rings and valves all closed. To have no compression on any cylinder again could be open valves in this case.
I'd verify it's actually sparking at the plug, verify fuel is coming out and the timing is on.
Yes it's getting fuel..I've seen sparkplugs were wet and I've even heard fuel explode (misfire) in the exhaust pipe and after new fuel pump , small flame came out of TB lol...I've done spark check with inline spark tester and all passed..Starter passed also..I wanna try to hand turn crank and see I see anything..Too tight/loose etc..Could valves be stuck open from cold weather perhaps? I don't know I'm just throwing it out there..It was about 20° out the day it happened..

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
No way valve stuck open, especially due to cold. We woke up to 14f and when I head home it will be near zero and not even going above zero tomorrow. With the wind your tears can freeze to your eyelashes. If you are getting some popping, is fuel pressure good?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No way valve stuck open, especially due to cold. We woke up to 14f and when I head home it will be near zero and not even going above zero tomorrow. With the wind your tears can freeze to your eyelashes. If you are getting some popping, is fuel pressure good?
Not sure about fuel pressure and it seems kinda tough to check on stock rail without that special Honda adaptor...So I just went ahead and install a 255 walbro to eliminate possible weak pump or clogged filter...And fuel line visibly look good...All I know is fuel is there for sure..

I ll open up the valve cover and visually check the internals...Best I'm hoping for is TCT went bad and timing jumped without damaging pistons,valves..Or else I ll be looking into a k24 swap..Good thing it's almost tax season..Lol..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I took off the valve cover and timing looks good to me but I noticed I didn't see one of those colored chain link..Does anyone know whether all K series timing chain supposed to have those colored chain links? Also when I hand turned crank, it moved fairly too easy and couldn't feel any compression whatsoever with me covering sparkplug hole with my thumb...I know I should pull the head to verify but at this point, I feel like there's internal damage and I'm ready to hit up HMO and go k24 which is my eventual plan anyways...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well..Not much help from you guys lol ..But I want threads with results so ...Anyways, it turned out to be just my timing tensioner went bad..Replaced it with a new one but kept my original chain cos' it didn't seem stretched since all color links still lined up fine..What baffled me was no compression whatsoever across all cylinders..Almost wasted money on a new motor lol..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello princeTW

I seem to have the exact same symphtom as you. No compression at all when trying to start some days ago.
Is it correct that you just changed the chain tensioner and did nothing else, and compression was ok afte thath?

Lars

·
Registered
187 Posts
I might believe you if you could explain to me what the hell a cam chain tensioner has to do with compression that has no connection with in any of the four cylinders? My guess, nothing. Call me a doubting Thomas on this one. But, I will do some research because I didnt believe that you could have no compression on four cylinders simultaneously. Glad its fixed. Wish you could explain how it fixed it.
Paul

·
Registered
241 Posts
I might believe you if
Timing chain might have slipped some teeth. When replacing the chain tensioner, OP might have reset the physical timing, restoring the original cam profile and getting the valves to close on the compression stroke.
You are correct, replacing the tensioner by itself will not fix zero compression across the board.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I might believe you if you could explain to me what the hell a cam chain tensioner has to do with compression that has no connection with in any of the four cylinders? My guess, nothing. Call me a doubting Thomas on this one. But, I will do some research because I didnt believe that you could have no compression on four cylinders simultaneously. Glad its fixed. Wish you could explain how it fixed it.
Paul
Constantly cranking the engine will cause the cylinders to "wash out" from excess, unburned fuel. This is what caused a drop in compression.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Timing chain might have slipped some teeth. When replacing the chain tensioner, OP might have reset the physical timing, restoring the original cam profile and getting the valves to close on the compression stroke.
You are correct, replacing the tensioner by itself will not fix zero compression across the board.
And/or take the tensioner off if you don't believe:rotfl:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Guys, guys! A compression tester just measures the pressure built up in a cylinder when ALL valves are closed. One cylinder dead. Two maybe. But all four never reached a point during cranking when all valves were closed? He said in post #6 that he removed the valve cover and timing looked good. That indicated to me that all of the marks on the cams were in the right place. I dont know that he checked the crank mark but he didnt make any statement that he had to adjust anything. My 02 Type-S has 258k miles and changing my tensioner is most certainly due. Im asking an honest to god question here. If the cams are off I buy the explanation. If not, what am I supposed to make of this?
Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts