Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a guy locally selling his, asking $3100. The bike has 34,000 miles on it and appears to have relatively minor cosmetic damage. Here's the link to the ad:

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/9/8/88387098.htm

I'm waiting to hear back from him to find a time to go check it out in person. I'm pretty sure it isn't worth his asking price, based on a few pictures he sent me.

Tell me what you guys know about this model, things I should be looking for, if I'm wasting my time on a bike with that many miles, etc. Thanks in advance!

·
I am not a senior member.
456 Posts
Not to bad, that type of bike is pretty rare, meaning the color/design, mileage is pretty high but its a Honda so it should run pretty good. If its your first bike I would say take it, offer like 2800-2900.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
i dont think its worth it if you plan on getting new cowl from honda its not cheap. the bike has been dumped i wouldn't buy it. i sold honda's for over 4yrs keep looking you'll find a better bike.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i dont think its worth it if you plan on getting new cowl from honda its not cheap. the bike has been dumped i wouldn't buy it. i sold honda's for over 4yrs keep looking you'll find a better bike.
Unless it looks really bad in person, I probably wouldn't mess with replacing any of the plastic. It's primarily the mileage I'm concerned about. Alot of things can happen to a bike over 34,000 miles and I don't want to be constantly worrying about catastrophic failures while I'm riding.

I probably just answered my own original post with that last sentance, huh? :eek:

Oh, by the way it would indeed be my first bike.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
Ask to see maintenance records. If the f3 is anything like the current rr, it should have gone through 3 valve checks, with regular oil changes every 3-5k.

I would also check to see if sprockets are worn, forks are leaking oil, and if there is any damage to the frame. Doesn't seem like the down was too major, so the frame should be alright.

Does it start up right away?

How are the tires?

For a first bike, I would look for one with lower mi, only because you don't really want to be concerned of the bike being mechanically sound to ride. You want to worry about riding. Although, personally, if it was treated well it should be fine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ask to see maintenance records. If the f3 is anything like the current rr, it should have gone through 3 valve checks, with regular oil changes every 3-5k.

I would also check to see if sprockets are worn, forks are leaking oil, and if there is any damage to the frame. Doesn't seem like the down was too major, so the frame should be alright.

Does it start up right away?

How are the tires?

For a first bike, I would look for one with lower mi, only because you don't really want to be concerned of the bike being mechanically sound to ride. You want to worry about riding. Although, personally, if it was treated well it should be fine.
His ad says that the tires are brand new. I haven't seen it in person yet, so I haven't been able to really look it over. I'm hoping to get over there in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Unless it looks really bad in person, I probably wouldn't mess with replacing any of the plastic. It's primarily the mileage I'm concerned about. Alot of things can happen to a bike over 34,000 miles and I don't want to be constantly worrying about catastrophic failures while I'm riding.

I probably just answered my own original post with that last sentance, huh? :eek:

Oh, by the way it would indeed be my first bike.
yep..lol..just ask the guy alot of questions about the bike check for little things like the chain is rusted look for rubber on the swing arm "from burn outs". ask to see records for regular maintenance. mileage is not bad at all for that year.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to go look at it in the next couple of days. The guy e-mailed me back and said it had never been down while riding... just a couple of accidental drops in a parking lot and garage.

He said that he is reluctant to sell it, but I guess he made a deal with his wife that he would sell the bike when they started a family. It's a good sign that the bike is okay if he doesn't really want to part with it, right?

·
9,233 Posts
http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles/PricingReport.aspx?VehicleId=NC8xMi8yMDA3fDY5Njc3&ManufacturerId=18&VehicleClass=Motorcycle&PriceType=Trade-In&YearId=1996

$2300 for dealer trade in, in GOOD condition

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicle...Class=Motorcycle&PriceType=Retail&YearId=1996

$3300 for EXCELLENT condition

To put it into perspective

I bought a 1996 Honda CBR 600F3 as well, a couple of weeks ago. It was downed in the garage, I saw it happen, front brake level broke, turn signal broke, and some scratches. It belonged to a kid I knew in high school. He paid for the new parts.

My bike has about 14,400 on it. I paid $2500 cash and it included a brand new HJC AC-12 Helmet that matches the bike.

So, IMHO, I saw, screw that guy, because the price he is asking is too high. See if you can down it to AT LEAST $2600. Its damaged too, and how do you REALLY know it hasn't been downed in the street?

I know how you feel, you seem to get attached to the bike and you don't want to look around again. But maybe you're not like that, I don't know for sure.

But if you want my advice, offer less because its damaged, if not, then I would say try to find another, you will definately still get a deal because the weather isn't awesome outside yet.

I would NOT pay $3100 for that, and I don't like the purple/yellow combo.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I definitely know that it isn't worth what he's asking. I'm going to look at it with skeptical eyes and see what I find. If the bike is mechanically sound and I can get him down to $2500 or so, I might do it, especially if he includes his full leathers and gloves. (He offered his helmet too, but I'm not doing a used helmet.)

The thought that I keep going back to is that I can get a brand new Ninja 250 for about $3000. There are a couple of used Ninja 500s around for just under $3000. Then again, if I go with this CBR and turn it into a hockey puck somewhere, as long as I can stand back up I'm not really going to care. I'd really hate to scrape a bike that hasn't been scraped before.

I don't want to give the impression that I've already got my mind made up, I just thought I'd keep updating my thread and get some good, thorough advice.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, went and looked at it last night. In person, it looks much better than the pictures show. Everything seems mechanically sound. He showed me documentation for the service intervals, although it sounds like the clutch has never been replaced and it probably needs fork seals. The chain looks immaculate, as do the tires which are less than 1 year old. It fired right up while I was there, although he admitted that he had warmed it up before I arrived. He said it usually takes 3-4 cranks to get it running when it's cold.

His riding jacket is an IXS with elbow and shoulder inserts and a kevlar back. The gloves are Geiricke. Opinions?

I really appreciate all the input thus far... this is a tough decision for me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way... what should I expect to pay to have the fork seals and clutch replaced?

·
FREEdom isn't FREE.
2,446 Posts
I bought one of those for my first bike in SC, on the NC line. I paid $3000 cash and it was in perfect condition with 7,000 miles on it. I rode it for about 3 weeks before I test rode a new R6 and the rest is history. I might have apaid a little more than I should have, but the bike I had sat in some guys basement for 4 years, so that was pretty rare.

If you do get it, you will get alot of compliments on the paint scheme. It looks like a current bike, but nobody ever sees that scheme. I think that was why I like that bike when I had it, everyone was looking at it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How was the f2 for a first ride? I understand there aren't many differences between the f2 and f3.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.