Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Chemical Soldier
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the whole point of owning a k20a2 was to exploit its NA capabilities? But I don't know anymore. I am seriously considering selling everything off my car and boosting. Ever since Edo left, I've lost a lot of momentum. I know that this is how it works, but I'm tired of buying a part and having something better come out a month later. It's never ending. I don't live in SoCal so I don't have the resources and thriving environment to pursue new agendas for this car(bottom end swaps or tuning for high compression pistons). Nobody around is familiar with this car.
It seems like a lot more people are going FI now. With a cybernation turbo, at least I have the option to upgrade.
I have practically hit a dead end with this toda kit. For what I have spent on this N/A setup, I could have had a wicked ass bov and about 60-70 more whp. But the sound of vtec crossover at 3900 and a 9k fuel cutoff gets my blood pumpin. This is depriving me of energy and sleep. I cannot stop weighing my options. I have put my time, heart, and sweat into making my car a reality. Why am I not content?
What should I do guys? I need some opinions. I know it is my car and I should do what I want, but I can't see the light. My next upgrades were going to be the transmission, ie lsd, final drive, clutch and flywheel. Someone please chime in:(

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
You could look into upgrading to bigger cams if you want to stay NA. there should be a few choices coming soon that maintain VTC: Toda N+, IB Spec, the ones that Edo is supposedly developing, there may be others eventually.

Turbo's a great feeling on the highway but there are some serious driveability and reliability issues to consider, and you will end up spending a lot more than you think.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
best adivce i can give is just wait it out

i want to upgrade so bad but i'm just gonna go with hondata until i'm really sure what's the best way to go

·
Little engine that could
5,122 Posts
best adivce i can give is just wait it out

i want to upgrade so bad but i'm just gonna go with hondata until i'm really sure what's the best way to go
Thats pretty much what I'm doing. I know there's going to be so much more mods coming out for my car. Right now I only have an intake and maybe before spring I'll get Hondata #4. But I'm going to wait it out. If I get tired of waiting, I'll just get the TODA engine kit plus some other TODA stuff and call it a day on my car. Besides, any more than 250hp is IMO too much on the streets. That would be my goal though is to make 250 at the wheels and have a mid/low 13 second car.

I think anything more than 300 HP on a FWD car is pointless because you can launch like a RWD car can. You'll just spin your tires like crazy. If anything, I'd get the stage 1 CN turbo and start working on the suspension so you'd have a balanced car. Not just straight ahead speed.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I say keep going with your tranny upgrades. Wait a little longer and you will see that there are going to be a TON of options for our cars in terms of NA power. You've already seen and tapped into some of the potential of our cars. Just keep it going. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
these are all good pts. but what you also need to consider is your car's health. Is this car your daily driver? do you plan on keeping it for awhile? IMO id stick with N/A if i were you. Putting turbo in your car will jepordize its liability in the long run and like posted earlier "YOU WILL END UP SPENDING MORE MONEY" (in the end that is) I myself am sticking to N/A b/c of these reasons, if i could get between 250-300 i would be happy.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
yeah don't go turbo until you are ready to build your engine with sleeves and all that other good shit

·
EFI Tuning Professional
8,139 Posts
im so glad im not the only one. Ive been debating for the past month and this summer is the time for me to either further upgrade the block or sell all my n/a shit and go cybernation

But if i were you, id stick it out. Just enjoy what you have right now

peace out
HARDCORE mikey

·
Chemical Soldier
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I've had a couple talks with my buddies and I think I'm going to stay N/A. This hondata reprogrammable ecu will make my goals a reality. I just need to read up on it a little more.

Mikey, how much was it to P&P your head? 6-10whp with tuning? And you've got your throttle body bored and your IM port matched as well? If so, who did it for you and how much? Are there any other piston kits available(and cheaper) besides toda? What about rods too? I don't think I can afford toda rods. I am thinking definately toda head gasket, along with a higher CR--12.9:1 would be sufficient. That should net me about 15 whp with proper tuning. Sorry about all the questions.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You guys may be making less peak HP on the dyno, but throttle response, and area under the curve is great, and means a lot in pulling turbo cars on the street. I have beat turbo Hondas at the track, with much less "peak hp" to claim. But with that said, I am going FI - heheheheheh

·
EFI Tuning Professional
8,139 Posts
schuessler28 said:
Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I've had a couple talks with my buddies and I think I'm going to stay N/A. This hondata reprogrammable ecu will make my goals a reality. I just need to read up on it a little more.

Mikey, how much was it to P&P your head? 6-10whp with tuning? And you've got your throttle body bored and your IM port matched as well? If so, who did it for you and how much? Are there any other piston kits available(and cheaper) besides toda? What about rods too? I don't think I can afford toda rods. I am thinking definately toda head gasket, along with a higher CR--12.9:1 would be sufficient. That should net me about 15 whp with proper tuning. Sorry about all the questions.
The head was 750, but no, its not tuned yet. No, i havent touched the throttle body, im waiting on Edo's individual throttle body setup or a better intake manifold then the type-r one. I suggest you talk to Ron about the pistons. I think some manufacturers can custom make them for you. If you can wait, because i also want to do my research and get some HC pistons. As far as Rods go, it all depends. If you want strong quality rods, look into some Cybernation rods(since they are meant for turbo, but also can be used for n/a) if you are sticking with your k20 block. Also, for custom rods, look at cunningham, they are expensive, but they have good stuff. If you want off the counter, go with Crower or other companies(such as the one Ron has partnered with).

Hope this all helps

p.s. I too cannot wait till hondata programmable comes out, i just want to squeeze those extra 5-10 whp out of my head

peace out
HARDCORE mikey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts