Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone
Ive been doing some searching around and cant seem to find a solution to my problem. Problem is whenever im normal driving, my car starts cutting out, if i give it more than 50% throttle it doesnt, any less than in 1st-3rd gear and it cuts out up until about 3500rpm. Ive checked all sensor connections, not throwing any CELs, and checked my spark plugs. Everything seems to check out. The modifications i have are RBC IM, Injen SRI, DC Sports 4-1 RH, Skunk 2 70mm Catback, O2 adapter. About a month after installing a Blox TPS is when it started. Any help would be appreciated. Can answer any question you may need answered.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds like your TPS man. They fail all the time. Get the K tuned TPS. More money but that thing is bullet proof.

Do you have Kpro? If you do you can see what your TPS is doing and see if its reading correctly

·
Registered
227 Posts
"Cutting out" like hesitation or misfiring when you accelerate?

Assuming you checked your new tps sensor I would think either spark or fuel.

If you are more than 100k on oem plugs I would change them anyway.

Otherwise it could be injectors/fuel filter but they are a pain to clean/change.

But it's almost always the thing that you just changed:

How to measure TPS voltage:

There are three wires in the harness connected to the TPS.... Ground, 5V power source and the throttle position signal voltage to inform the ECU of throttle position.
Using a VOM meter.... place the meter selector on VDC and measure the voltage between a vehicle ground and each of the three leads... connected to the TPS.
One will read nothing...., one will read 5V and the third should read the signal voltage to the ECU from the TPS.
With the throttle closed.... the voltage should read .5V and at WOT... the voltage should read approximately 4.8V.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Missfiring upon slight acceleration, and i dont have Kpro. Going to check TPS voltage after work tonight. Hope it just needs calibrated or something simple/cheap. Was told the Blox TPSs were durable, which is why i got it. Guessing thats not true?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my RSX is still "Sputtering", but my CEL came on today on my way to work and with the CEL on it no longer "Sputters"..runs good actually. If CEL is still on after work i will hook up a code scanner and see what it says. Any ideas on why it would run better with the CEL on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the CEL turned off once i got off work so i was unable to scan it. Anyone got any ideas or had this happen? Kinda seems to me like a sensor sending bad readings and sometimes failing, causing the CEL upon failure. Just not sure where to begin the search.

·
Resident hater
7,647 Posts
sounds like the tps is poop. get kpro on that thing already. you're probably running stupid lean with that setup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone want to donate a Kpro system to me? Haha..early Christmas present!..seems it would do wonders for my RSX, and solve all my issues :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figured it out!!!...Come to find out, my TPS screws came loose and my TPS turned a little bit. More than likely it was caused by my ES mounts. Also figured out why it ran "better" when my CEL came on..There is a feature in the ECU that will kick in when the TPS isnt functioning properly or failing that will disable the TPS and cut deceleration fuel so therefore, runs "better" than if it was getting bad readings. Hope this helps people that have similar issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts