Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm glad to see such an active board for this vehicle.

I recently acquired a 2006 RSX Type S in great condition, with a lot of deferred maintenance and 153k miles.

I'm in need of advice as I've not had a performance vehicle of this type for over 20 years (my last car was a grey market BMW 320/6), so I'm a bit out of shape when it comes to knowing what I need. I have already replaced the radio with a Pioneed SDH-120. Now I need to fix other very important issues.

First off - tires - the dealer is telling me $400/tire including alignment, which sounds high to me for such a small tire (225/45R17 94W is what the door panel shows). I'd like tires that can handle rain and dry well, don't really need to worry about snow too much here.

Secondly, the "Maint req'd" light is on, and I'm not sure what this means in regards to an Acura. My 2005 Honda Odyssey tells me exactly what maintenance is required - so I'm not sure where to start on this.

Thirdly, 3rd gear is quite touchy, double-clutch almost always works, as does RPM -> speed matching, however if I'm a bit off on the RPM, third gear requires a little "Extra" push to get it in gear. Is this something as easy as a syncro ring, or something more complex requiring a bit more work?

Any advice on the above (especially the tires as I cannot currently drive in rain) would be greatly appreciated!

·
Doesn't Give A F*ck
20,301 Posts
first off, congrats on the purchase. most of us aren't really here anymore, but with the platform being around for a while now, there is a ton of information from all the years.

can't really help you on the tire situation, but i would recommend going to discounttire . com or something along the lines. they have tons of tire reviews and they're quick on their shipping / also comes with warranty with each wheel for a little extra.

you can reset that maintenance required light by pushing in the reset button, insert key to the second click, hold it for 15 seconds or so and it should turn off. there's a diy on it here somewhere, but that's the quick points.

most of the guys tend to switch their tranny fluid to something else and it seem to fix the problem.

·
sapnu puas
5,950 Posts
Welcome

1. The tire and alignment does seem high, depending on what tires they quoted you for. You can drive yourself crazy deciding on which tires to go for. When I had my RSX, I had Hankook Ventus V12 evo2's on it and I liked them. You can get all 4 tires for right around $400 @ tirerack.com. That's a great website to order tires.

2. Maint req'd light is mostly just a programmed light to come on at certain amount of miles to do routine maintenance. Here's a DIY on how to clear it.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=804571

3. 3rd gear grind is a very common issue with the RSX. You can try changing transmission fluid to something to help with the syncros such as GM Synchomesh to see if that helps any. Some people have good success with that.

There are endless amounts of threads on all 3 of your questions. Use the search feature, and you're sure to find the answers.

·
GJS
131 Posts
welcome to the club! What color is it? feel free to post a pic!

3rd gear grind is quite common, like mentioned above.

Regarding the tires, seems pretty pricey, I would look elsewhere or possibly online.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the quick advice everyone.

I've scheduled some maintenance to get the transmission fluid replaced.

I also found a local tire store that has some Falken Pro G4 A/S that seem to be well rated (several threads here mention Falken as being decent) - so $120/tire is way better than the dealer.

I will post a pic as soon as it stops raining as this car looks surprisingly good for the mileage it has.

·
Vietnamese Singer
28,049 Posts
What will the purpose of the vehicle be? Strictly a commuter car? Track car? Etc. That will dictate what sort of tires you should buy.

This car is notorious for having issues in 2nd/3rd gear, mostly due to the syncros. As mentioned, sometimes a tranny fluid flush can help alleviate it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dealers often have expensive prices of tires plus labor. I work at a dealership and even tires are quite expensive still at my employee price. Usually i look around town for a good deal or just order from tire rack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts