Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i already posted an EVO vs G35, but i already test drove both.

The EVO looks and feels cheap =(, however it was a fun ride.

The G35 torque and powerband is real smooth, but man those cars are expensive.

I will be test driving an STi soon, but another car that caught my attention since i saw one lowered and very clean looking today is the IS300.

I have been some research about it, great looking car.

Right now i dont feel the urge to go fast, so im the IS300 with bolton can compare to an Hondata RSX-S i would be happy.

Now is that possible without boosting it.?

·
FightClubRSX returns
2,699 Posts
first of all, why are you selling your car?

with bolt-ons an IS300 could probably keep up with your car, but it won't be a dramatic difference in acceleration... and despite being RWD, it probably won't handle much better either... it's not a bad car, but without a turbo kit i don't see why you'd want to one, aside from RWD there's no serious advantages it has over our cars IMO. and if you do want a turbo kit, then you're putting yourself in a bigger price range of cars you might prefer instead.. ya know?

·
Registered
123 Posts
The G35 is definitely a nice ride. The lines on that car are smooth and sleek-- it's gotta be one of the cleanest luxury sport coupes I've ever seen. Sure, it's expensive, but I think it's worth the investment if you're considering getting an IS300, which is also up there in terms of money. An IS nets you 215hp for about $30,000, while a G35 nets you 260hp for about $38,000. Eight grand is a lot, but horsepower doesn't come easily, so that 45 horsepower advantage is nice.

But if you're talking IS versus RSX-S, both cars are very nice, similar hp, both clean-looking rides. It really comes down to preference, and you gotta think that you can get a Type-S for $24,000 now, versus $30,000 for an IS which only has a 15 hp advantage.

I prolly didn't help you much as I did rant, but there you go. ^__~

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K i o n said:
first of all, why are you selling your car?

with bolt-ons an IS300 could probably keep up with your car, but it won't be a dramatic difference in acceleration... and despite being RWD, it probably won't handle much better either... it's not a bad car, but without a turbo kit i don't see why you'd want to one, aside from RWD there's no serious advantages it has over our cars IMO. and if you do want a turbo kit, then you're putting yourself in a bigger price range of cars you might prefer instead.. ya know?

My car is wrecked.

Story here:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=140236

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ruken said:
The G35 is definitely a nice ride. The lines on that car are smooth and sleek-- it's gotta be one of the cleanest luxury sport coupes I've ever seen. Sure, it's expensive, but I think it's worth the investment if you're considering getting an IS300, which is also up there in terms of money. An IS nets you 215hp for about $30,000, while a G35 nets you 260hp for about $38,000. Eight grand is a lot, but horsepower doesn't come easily, so that 45 horsepower advantage is nice.

But if you're talking IS versus RSX-S, both cars are very nice, similar hp, both clean-looking rides. It really comes down to preference, and you gotta think that you can get a Type-S for $24,000 now, versus $30,000 for an IS which only has a 15 hp advantage.

I prolly didn't help you much as I did rant, but there you go. ^__~
Thanks its, cool i had the RSX-S for 1 1/2 year. Until 2 weeks ago. Im still depressed over that, i guess the only thing that keeps me from thinking about my car is see what car i can get when i get the insurance check.

RIght now im driving my old beater, a 93 Taurus, and boy do i miss the Steering wheel and the HIDS, this car feels like a boat.

Anyways, any other suggestions, i guess im getting old ( 24 ), not really into speed anymore, like friend say, you prefer fashion over fast. I guess thats true, i would consider an WRX, but i think the lines of the IS is real sexy. Besides i just want a comfy semi-lux daily driver.

·
FightClubRSX returns
2,699 Posts
uab said:
ohhhh right, shit, i hope your friend helped you out with some cash on top of the settlement for that..

anyway, well again, i don't think the IS is different enough from our car that you'd really want it all that badly ya know? it's a step up that's for sure, but i just don't think it's enough of a step up to warrant the 8 extra thousand you'd shell out for it. a test drive will probably back up that assertion.

if i might make a suggestion... have you looked at the RX-8? i hear they can be had in the mid-20's, and you'd get performance slightly better than the RSX-S/IS300, RWD, very nice looks, room for four all at a cost that's still less than the IS3...

·
Registered
123 Posts
uab said:
Thanks its, cool i had the RSX-S for 1 1/2 year. Until 2 weeks ago. Im still depressed over that, i guess the only thing that keeps me from thinking about my car is see what car i can get when i get the insurance check.

RIght now im driving my old beater, a 93 Taurus, and boy do i miss the Steering wheel and the HIDS, this car feels like a boat.

Anyways, any other suggestions, i guess im getting old ( 24 ), not really into speed anymore, like friend say, you prefer fashion over fast. I guess thats true, i would consider an WRX, but i think the lines of the IS is real sexy. Besides i just want a comfy semi-lux daily driver.
I know what you mean. When you get older, you tend to lean towards ride comfort and looks more than going fast. I'm 19 myself, so I'm still relatively in the "go fast" phase, but I'm pretty sure that after I pass down my RSX to my lil bro, the next car I get will be more oriented to ride comfort and looks than just all out power. Did you get into a crash with the type-S? That sucks man, but it happens to the best of us, eh? I've had my car for about a year and 3 months, and I've since gotten my right-sde rims scratched up from a mishap while canyon racing. I guess I was fortunate to just come away with scratched rims which I can always change out for new ones. But yeah, the IS definitely has "sexy" lines... So does the G35! The WRX is a nice car too, with the power and handling-tuned suspension that gives it the upper hand in them rally races, but the lines aren't as smooth. Again, it's totally up to your preference. 24 years old? I'd consider getting into the Euro scene... you'll like what you see, trust me. BMWs are a whole new world of speed and beauty. :driving:

·
Registered
123 Posts
K i o n said:
ohhhh right, shit, i hope your friend helped you out with some cash on top of the settlement for that..

anyway, well again, i don't think the IS is different enough from our car that you'd really want it all that badly ya know? it's a step up that's for sure, but i just don't think it's enough of a step up to warrant the 8 extra thousand you'd shell out for it. a test drive will probably back up that assertion.

if i might make a suggestion... have you looked at the RX-8? i hear they can be had in the mid-20's, and you'd get performance slightly better than the RSX-S/IS300, RWD, very nice looks, room for four all at a cost that's still less than the IS3...

The RX-8 is definitely a nice car. The Renesis engine has tons of potential, so it's not surprise it won Engine of the Year. To put it in perspective, the Mazda Formula Car uses the exact same Renesis engine, but it's been tuned to run a 2.9 second 0-60. Makes your heart beat faster, eh? Heh heh... Like I said, tons of potential for that little rotary wonder, and add to that the 50/50 weight distribution, sweet lines and look (cant go wrong with a MazdaSpeed body kit), sexy interior and a redline at 9000 (I think)... that's one helluva car for its price. Granted, it's overrated at 237hp and a torque rating that's less than spectacular, but keep in mind that this is Mazda's first incarnation of the RX-8. It took them 3 gens to get the RX-7 right with it's twin turbo '93 FD-37 version, so give em time and the RX-8 will be a competitor. Keep an eye on it!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ruken said:
The RX-8 is definitely a nice car. The Renesis engine has tons of potential, so it's not surprise it won Engine of the Year. To put it in perspective, the Mazda Formula Car uses the exact same Renesis engine, but it's been tuned to run a 2.9 second 0-60. Makes your heart beat faster, eh? Heh heh... Like I said, tons of potential for that little rotary wonder, and add to that the 50/50 weight distribution, sweet lines and look (cant go wrong with a MazdaSpeed body kit), sexy interior and a redline at 9000 (I think)... that's one helluva car for its price. Granted, it's overrated at 237hp and a torque rating that's less than spectacular, but keep in mind that this is Mazda's first incarnation of the RX-8. It took them 3 gens to get the RX-7 right with it's twin turbo '93 FD-37 version, so give em time and the RX-8 will be a competitor. Keep an eye on it!
Yeah i will def be test driving the RX-8 also. the big BUT of the RX-8 is the Tahoe like gas mileage, with gas prices getting to $3 a gallon in the summer,... god damn

·
Registered
423 Posts
Have you looked at the BMW's? You could find a nice used (2001-2003) 325i for 25-30K. It's not as quick as the 330, but you said your not into speed as much anymore. It's still no slouch - it's faster than the IS300 which has a 31 HP and 43 ft/lb of torque advantage. AND, it doesn't have those ridiculous taillights :)

Just another option......

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got offered an 2004 IS300 for

27100, + tax etc.

5 Speed, LSD, leather, audio system, etc.

What you guys think, is that a good deal?

·
PReLuDe UseR
533 Posts
uab said:
I got offered an 2004 IS300 for

27100, + tax etc.

5 Speed, LSD, leather, audio system, etc.

What you guys think, is that a good deal?
Its a good deal. I post on Is300.net once in awhile and that seems to be the usual rate for a new 5 speed without Nav. Have you considered a 350Z Enthusiast?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally test drove the RX8 today. The interior was OK, the seats were supportive, not a big fan of the gauge cluster thought, the digital speed is smalla and hard to read.

Handles real good, i didnt push it because i wasnt used to how the car reacts, but i think once i get the hang of it, it will be fun.

Now, WHERES THE TORQUE? i mean, i know the HOndata RSX is no torque monster, but when i downshifted from 5th to 3rd i just heard the damn engine scream, but the feeling of acceleration wasnt there, so that was the biggest dissapointed of all. I heard they have something like hondata for it, since Mazda had to detune the car to meet EPA standards or somehting like it.

The sales man was cool, but he tried to sell me the car at all cost. He was saying that the S2K ( since i told him i was between the S2k, Z and RX8) has no torque, which is right, but the RX8 is NOT torquy either.

He also said it was faster than the S2k, to what i replied "No, its not".

Anyways, if i can this deal going for around $26500 with the sports package, i think i'll get it.

·
FightClubRSX returns
2,699 Posts
uab said:
The sales man was cool, but he tried to sell me the car at all cost. He was saying that the S2K ( since i told him i was between the S2k, Z and RX8) has no torque, which is right, but the RX8 is NOT torquy either.

He also said it was faster than the S2k, to what i replied "No, its not".

Anyways, if i can this deal going for around $26500 with the sports package, i think i'll get it.
what'd i tell ya... glad you liked it (sorta, hehe).. it may not be torquey, but i'd still bet that it's faster than an IS300 manual while handling better.

·
Z Driver
4,228 Posts
$26k w/ sports package? Pardon me but isn't that the price of the automatic tranny RX-8 and not the manual?! I thought the manual was more ~$29k range. Or are you still talking about the lexus?

I've been lurking around the is300.net forums lately as well. There's a lot of cool stuff to be done to that car, and frankley I think it looks better than any of the others that have been discussed so far on this thread, even the RSX. All a matter of preference really. The RX-8 will handle better in the long run, and I think it and the IS get about the same gas milage unfortunately.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PurelySwift said:
$26k w/ sports package? Pardon me but isn't that the price of the automatic tranny RX-8 and not the manual?! I thought the manual was more ~$29k range. Or are you still talking about the lexus?

I've been lurking around the is300.net forums lately as well. There's a lot of cool stuff to be done to that car, and frankley I think it looks better than any of the others that have been discussed so far on this thread, even the RSX. All a matter of preference really. The RX-8 will handle better in the long run, and I think it and the IS get about the same gas milage unfortunately.
Nope, i got quoted $26,500 Sports Package, 6MT, i test drove it, and i test drove the shit outta it i might add :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah the RX-8 is lacking in torque, but torque isn't everything. So are you gonna get the RX-8 for sure now? It's a great car, you've just gotta be absolutely sure that you are satisfied with the car-- it's the kind of car that caters to a very specific taste, with all the unique engineering aspects of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts