Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i had my car i washed my car 1-2 times a month with the polish and waxing and do the paint cleaner every other month. my paint was always smooth. its always been garaged..then i got into a car accident and my car was in the body shop for a month. after my car came back, my paint feels all rough. But its not the whole car, but its more than half the car. that week i washed my car all day..did all the 3 steps, and after waxing, the car paint still feels rough. What can i do??

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
uciRSX said:
Since i had my car i washed my car 1-2 times a month with the polish and waxing and do the paint cleaner every other month. my paint was always smooth. its always been garaged..then i got into a car accident and my car was in the body shop for a month. after my car came back, my paint feels all rough. But its not the whole car, but its more than half the car. that week i washed my car all day..did all the 3 steps, and after waxing, the car paint still feels rough. What can i do??
if its not overspray which you should hope it is. it could be bad orange peel, which would require wet sanding, something done by a professional. take it back to the bodyshop and tell him to fix it.

·
i ❤ macro.
2,252 Posts
I don't think I've ever actually seen orange peel, anyone got pics?

It's quite possible that it is just paint overspray. I remember when I was painting the trim on my Civic, despite best efforts to cover the rest of the car, I got some paint overspray on the windows and paint. Are the windows rough too, or just the paint? If so, I'd try a claybar. If you think the bodyshop really did a number on your car, I'd take jstn's advice and take it back.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
EternalBlue said:
I don't think I've ever actually seen orange peel, anyone got pics?

It's quite possible that it is just paint overspray. I remember when I was painting the trim on my Civic, despite best efforts to cover the rest of the car, I got some paint overspray on the windows and paint. Are the windows rough too, or just the paint? If so, I'd try a claybar. If you think the bodyshop really did a number on your car, I'd take jstn's advice and take it back.

Good luck.
ill try to find pictures, but it is the little bumps on the peel (skin) of an orange. almost every car will have it, but some will have more extreme cases than others will. just the sign of a so-so paint job.

·
i ❤ macro.
2,252 Posts
Okay, I know what you're talking about now! Usually that's not rough to the touch though, is it? It's more like not exactly "flat" feeling, right?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
EternalBlue said:
Okay, I know what you're talking about now! Usually that's not rough to the touch though, is it? It's more like not exactly "flat" feeling, right?
it is usually smooth to the touch, but since his car was just repainted i figured the most extreme case would be horrible orange peel. but more than likely it is overspray, which a claybar will take care of.

·
Premium Member
7,792 Posts
If you can feel it, it's probably overspray, which should be taken care of by a thorough claybarring.

Orange peel is funny. There was an Acura 1.7EL (read "luxury Civic made for the Canadian market since we pay more for cars and need a cheaper entry level"), it's paint was so bad, so much orange peel that would wouldn't make out a clear reflection, it was too rippled. It was to the point that I'd want $5000 off the price so I could have a repaint done :D

My bodyshop guy painted my panels smoother than factory. 4 panels down... need to be keyed on the other side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i now that i see the picture, i have orange peel, and also the car paint is rough...what can i do?? claybar or back to the body shop?? the thing is the shop lagged a month to fix my car..i dont want to wait that long again!

thanks for your replies..keep them coming!

·
i ❤ macro.
2,252 Posts
I agree. Do a search on this site on proper ways to use a claybar as well as the different brands that are out there.

·
baby buffett
4,805 Posts
My buddy got his Mugen kit painted at Maaco. Now I see this I noticed he has orange peel. I'll Fwd this to him.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey so what happened, u claybar it and take it out or take it back or what? cuz i have this same rough sand feeling on my entire back bumper , it was like that before i got it but im thinkin the lady got the bumper replaced and a shitty paint job, anyways let me know, thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well since school started i didnt have much time. hopefully ill be able to claybar my car this week. any one know how much claybar cost and do u just use it after you car wash or what? please explain..

so my car still feels rough on half of the car.

phrosynls..im gonna try to clay bar my car in the next two weeks..il post after i do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.