Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
"Por-Sha"
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, the clearcoat on my cf hood is really messed up.

Anyone know about how much it would be for a new clearcoat?

Any way I could fix this myself? There are like 4+ spots where the clearcoat is..chipped?

What type of shop could I go to to get this fixed? Any autoshop? What about a cheaper shop like Macco or something lol.

·
Registered
20,142 Posts
Damn, that's pretty craptastic. If professional companies are selling crap like this... wow. I'm shocked. You can probably get it redone at any reputable body shop. Or you could sand it yourself and put a good urethene clearcoat that's UV resistant on it for pretty cheap. Either way it's gotta look better than that crap.

-------IR

·
Registered
20,142 Posts
creep3 said:
Whats the deal with the vent.
Yeah, it's all unevely cut and stuff... looks like poo

-------IR

·
"Por-Sha"
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so where could i read up on how to do this myself? would I have to sand the WHOLE hood down or just the parts that are fked up.

What type of clearcoat? Is it the spray kind? I've never really sanded or done clearcoat...

·
Always Brave
67,134 Posts
NYC Flip 22 said:
so where could i read up on how to do this myself? would I have to sand the WHOLE hood down or just the parts that are fked up.

What type of clearcoat? Is it the spray kind? I've never really sanded or done clearcoat...
I dont think you want to do it. I'd take it to a shop.

·
dude..wheres my car
16,177 Posts
i had my hood clear coated WITH a UV inhibitor at MOB works here in so cal for 162.

another shop that's known for high prices wanted around 175.

·
Central PA's Finest...
7,590 Posts
damn dude...i think u should just get it painted like you'd originally planned. i don't think cf goes as well w/ white & gold. maybe its just me. :dontknow:

·
Registered
312 Posts
if you clear it, it will be fine. We've done a bunch of em here, and they turn out better than new. Will last longer too.

·
my cac in ur lon
768 Posts
if u got tools, than it would be cheaper to DIY
but if u dont than bring it to a shop which is veryyy costly

·
"Por-Sha"
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
whats the dif. with a shop's clearcoat and the spray paint high temp. type clearcoat?

I'm thinkin of attempting a simple DIY on a small part of my hood before i make up my mind about what i'm goin to do with my hood..
Example. Sanding a certain part down in a certain shape, using painter's tape, and layers of clearcoat.

·
Registered
312 Posts
you can't do one spot. Body shop clearcoat will last as long as you own the car(if done right) Spray paint junk is, well, junk. It doesn't last very long, and if you take it to a reputable body shop you should have a warranty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts