Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So I went to start my car up to run errands and the engine started making this noise as I was letting it warm up.

https://youtu.be/EEsMw-qYIk8

Oil was changed a few weeks ago and level is fine. No cabin vibration and was idling normally.

The car was driving fine just the day before and I didn't notice anything unusual.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Sounds like a pulley. With the motor shut off, you can see the power steering pump on top, the tesnioner towards the middle and the alternator and AC pump lower. Take a long rod--screw driver or paper towel tube, heck a stick will do. Run the motor while cupping the stick or whatever to your ear and touch the body of each of the above. You'll hear the scratching on the bad part louder than ever. I have an automechanics stethoscope for this, but anything will do. Dont touch the pulley or the belt as it's spinning. The body of the bad bearing will resonate loudly which one it is.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Marko! I'll give it a try when I have some time over the next few days a report back with my findings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like a pulley. With the motor shut off, you can see the power steering pump on top, the tesnioner towards the middle and the alternator and AC pump lower. Take a long rod--screw driver or paper towel tube, heck a stick will do. Run the motor while cupping the stick or whatever to your ear and touch the body of each of the above. You'll hear the scratching on the bad part louder than ever. I have an automechanics stethoscope for this, but anything will do. Dont touch the pulley or the belt as it's spinning. The body of the bad bearing will resonate loudly which one it is.
This, and while you're doing all that I would finish it by checking the tensioner indicator to see if it's bouncing around.

BTW I have a stethoscope for this and if you ever get one (bought mine on amazon) be very careful using it because it is 100x louder than the long screw driver method

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This, and while you're doing all that I would finish it by checking the tensioner indicator to see if it's bouncing around.

BTW I have a stethoscope for this and if you ever get one (bought mine on amazon) be very careful using it because it is 100x louder than the long screw driver method
Thank you! I removed the belt and ran the engine; it sounded great without the power steering whine! I'm going to replace the power steering pump and that should take care of the noise I was hearing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you! I removed the belt and ran the engine; it sounded great without the power steering whine! I'm going to replace the power steering pump and that should take care of the noise I was hearing.
but how do you know your tensioner and belt length are good if you removed them first before running the car?

power steering whine is very distinct and usually only happens if it's leaking or fluid is low.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that's true but the pump needed to be replaced anyway. It's got about 136k miles clocked. If the sound persists afterward I'll go ahead and do some more tests to diagnose. Luckily I don't drive the car all that often since I've got the 5 speed corolla s workhorse lol.

I'll update as needed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts