Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Pass the butter.
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was brought over from 8th Gen's technical forums, so I thought I'd bring this over here to see if I could get some more attention and feedback, specifically about the new Honda MTF.

ProspeedCTR said:
Maybe this will help it is straight from Honda.. I haven't had any problems with transmission on my 07 Si.

Stiff Shifting, Popping Out of Gear?

Replace the MTF

NOTE: This article applies to all M/T-equipped Honda cars and trucks.

We’ve heard reports of customers complaining about the M/T shifting stiffly or popping out of gear. In each case, the M/T was using aftermarket MTF or old Honda MTF. If you’ve got a vehicle in your shop that fits this profile, try draining the MTF and replacing it with new Honda Genuine MTF (P/N 08798-9031, H/C 8429094). This new MTF offers better overall shift quality in cold weather (especially in freezing temperatures), and it’s got better friction reduction for improved fuel economy and longer transmission life. After filling the M/T with this new MTF, take a 10-mile test-drive around town so you can do a lot of shifting. If you’ve still got this problem after your test-drive, then it’s time to do some troubleshooting.

For those who are having a touchy 3rd gear (wall, pops out) I was curious to know if anyone had tried this yet and seen any results.

I'm less than 900 miles in and my 3rd gear popped out again this morning. I called the dealership about it today, and they told me to bring it in. It's not bad to change the MTF this early, is it?

·
Pass the butter.
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is going to sound stupid, but does putting mtf with lower friction/viscoisities like amsoil/gm synchromesh do anything in terms of lowering longevitiy on our engines?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
it probably lubes better? im not sure, but hte new honda MTF worked for me on my 2003. Doesnt hurt to try. I got it changed for free. I just ask your dealer and complain to them that your tranny sucks or soemthing.

·
Pass the butter.
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They'll do it for free, but I hear it's just a little better...

I already ordered 2 quarts of Amsoil so I'm going to skip the Honda MTF and go with the good stuff.

·
Premium Member
67,108 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
i changed to royal purple and i also have comptech short shift kit (if the ss even matters...) I would experience the 3rd gear wall a few times a week before i changed to royal purple. Since then, and its been about 6 months, i have only experience it grind 3rd gear once and that may have been due to my own mistake shifting.

with the royal purple i can still feel where the notchyness of the "wall" is when i shift into 3rd, but the difference is that it still pops into 3rd instead of just not going in and grinding.

·
Mamimi
6,024 Posts
I had this put into my 06 RSX-S. It's pretty good, but not as good as the Amsoil I am using now. Also, I want to mention, the stuff is Really thin. It only really good for cold weather and that's about it. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts