Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

New Hondata Reflash/Pulley Upgrade...

4K views 105 replies 33 participants last post by  RickM3 
#1 ·
Doug from Hondata contacted me last week to see if I wanted to test out a new flash for the JRSC and temporarily upgrade the pulley for the SC. I GLADLY accepted the offer and today went up and got the reflash. The ECU has some minor issues like missing some sensor inputs, for like IAT, RPM, Intake Manifold Pressure, Vehicle Speed, etc, etc... Not a major issue. I did not have the pulley on for the return trip but put it on once I got home. Install was pretty straightforward, loosen the belt tensioner, remove the belt, I had to loosen the right front headlight to get it out. Maybe I missed something and it is easier but that is how I did it. This particular flash is going to be the new Race flash. The reflash is set for 5psi or 7psi, VTEC is set at the same 4000RPM WOT or 5200RPM normal cruising. The idle RPM is set for 850RPM, increased 100RPM's. Doug stated that would solve some takeoff issues and some throttle stutter. Something about the 440cc injectors will benefit from the increased idle. Well, now to the good part. Once the pulley was on and the belt retightened and some bump starts to make sure the belt was tracking properly, the tools were put away and the hood closed. Deaconf19 and myself jumped in the car and took it for a spin. As soon as the coast was clear and the road semi-straight. I put the skinny pedal on the floor and there are no words to describe the sound, feel, and power this car has now. The scream of the JRSC overpowers my exhaust, puts you back in the seat and makes the passenger grab hold for dear life. Deaconf19 almost soiled himself. My car has some definite traction issues now. First gear dissapears in about 3-4 seconds and at the top the tires are begging for grip. Shift into second is another push back into the seat and car accelarates to 65MPH like a jet, with the scream of the SC to match. Third tops out at 95MPH after hitting the rev limiter and the rest of the gears are insane also. Sixth gear pulls like 5th at cruising. Bear with me, almost done. I belive this upgrade will be a best seller if/when Jackson and Hondata decide to go full tilt boogie on this one. Much props go out to Doug for allowing me this opportunity to test out their product. It is always a good thing to have a third party evaluate and give feedback. As stated, other than the sensor input issues there are ZERO flaws with this new flash program. Once again, HONDATA RULES!!!!! Doug is the MAN!!

EDIT: **By the way this is wdsonny using Deacon's account. Please feel free to ask away.

See less See more
#2 ·
i was about about to say. i thought this was the new toys that Jeremy got for his ride. Sonny, would you mind giving me a ride at the next KK meet? :D . this is ron by the way. the one whos Pwp that got wrecked on 805.i was trying to trade you my diy lights :D

#5 ·
me want that pulley....

#11 ·
wdsonny said:
The pulley was made from billet aluminun and is 3.4inch instead of 4inch. Shooting about 7psi down the K20's throat right now. Anyone that wants a ride is more than welcome. If you want to drive that is cool too. You wreck you buy it.
nice, you're so nice to let people drive your ride :laughing: .

#15 ·
What is the cutoff for the safe point in a S/C, ex. max psi. before you have to do the internals?

#16 ·
Rumor has it 11psi is the point of no return. I don't know. Doug is currently experimenting with a 9psi pulley and tuned ECU. All I can say is 7psi on the JRSC is INSANE. I am thoroughly impressed by the gains. I will see what I can do to get a dyno done here shortly.

#17 ·
wdsonny: I got to ride in scottatyamaha's old car and was really impressed so I would really like to see what the 7 psi would do. Do you have the kpro or did they reflash your standard ecu, you said some of the readings weren't set, but they are supposed to be shipping with the 7psi and 9 psi maps, so I was curious is to how they can ship w/ maps that are incomplete.

#18 ·
You don't understand. Some of the sensor inputs the ECU monitors are not there. IAT, RPM, speed, etc... Probably just a software thing Hondata needs to tweak out. No big deal. The "NEW" Hondata/JRSC race flash that I am using is going to ship with 5psi and 7psi maps. Believe me the fuel maps, boost maps, vtec points, redline, idle and everything else needed to make the car go down road as fast as you want it to work perfectly. The K-Pro is the one that will be shipping with 9psi setup.

#19 ·
wdsonny said:
You don't understand. Some of the sensor inputs the ECU monitors are not there. IAT, RPM, speed, etc... Probably just a software thing Hondata needs to tweak out. No big deal. The "NEW" Hondata/JRSC race flash that I am using is going to ship with 5psi and 7psi maps. Believe me the fuel maps, boost maps, vtec points, redline, idle and everything else needed to make the car go down road as fast as you want it to work perfectly. The K-Pro is the one that will be shipping with 9psi setup.

Alright, sorry, I was just checking. I am looking at getting this this summer so im just checking to see if hondata will send out updates as they work the bugs out or whatever. I think I am going to get the K-Pro w/ the JRSC so I have more tuning ability. sorry, wasn't trying to dog hondata or anything, I think they are doing wonderful things. Have you seen the software for the K-Pro yet ? Im curious how difficult it is to tune.

#22 ·
JR told me that if you replace the SC pulley you lose the warranty on the blower. That's why JR sells crank pulleys for their boost upgrades and I had a crank pulley made. Keith at JR told me all the testing Hondata is doing is out of warranty on the blower, it's just easier for them to change the blower pulley due to location and ease of access. I'm glad you like the upgrade though, once my ECU gets here, I will put my new pulley and injectors on and have some fun.

#23 ·
Well, since day one I have not a had a warranty on my car. Everything I have done has "voided" my warranty. This is just one more thing for me to add to the "void" list. Well, when I get the K-Pro next week or so, I will be adding a K24A crank pulley to the mix as well. Gonna see if I can get a 3" SC pulley made at a machine shop. Try and run 550cc injectors and see how 11psi feels.

#24 ·
Warranty on the SC, it comes with a 100,000 mile warranty that you just lost.

Also, I thought for every .2" you gained 1 lbs. of boost, so you should be at 8 psi, or is that just for the crank pulley?

#26 ·
Again, I don't or have never cared about a warranty on anything. I do what I want with my car. Who is JR to say I can't put a smaller pulley on for more boost. I am the one who paid $4000 (kit, install and race upgrade). I own the SC not JR. Besides, the roots blower design is good for 11psi efficiently. If JR would get off their shoulders and release the upgrade then I would get it. In the meantime, I was asked to test a product and give my opinion. I am doing that. I did not start this thread to get into a debate about warranty issues. The main focus is the ECU and the changes it will be able to accept and handle. And giving my opinion of what 7psi on the JRSC will feel like when the "real" upgrade is released. Steve, I don't know what I have done or said to you for you to act like you do towards me. I provide information as I have it. I offer solutions to people and in general one of the nicest persons you would ever meet. This friction that you have with me is confusing. Maybe I wronged you in another lifetime or something. I just don't see how everytime I tell people about a product or an update to something, that you have to come on here and belittle me. I try to be as concise as possible and straightforward with everyone I meet or talk to. As with anything one person does to their vehicle, it has consequences. Driving down the road has the potential to void your warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.