Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Knows he can't spell
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal. Im completley new to K-Pro. I currently have a BuddyClub race header, CAI, and BC pro-spec exhaust and K-Pro. Tomorrow in getting Brian crower Stage 2 cams valve springs and retainers as well as an RBC IM w/gasket.
Im getting my car Fully tuned on Saturday by Jeff Evans(maby some of you might have heard of him) and I just need a Kal. that will allow the car to run safely so I can drive the car home and to get it tunned on saturday. I don't care if the car is fast I just want it to be safe. Thank you in advance.

·
Mostly stock, Mostly
1,980 Posts
There is a crower stg2 cam, toda header base kal, it's second from the bottom of rsx kals. That should get you home. Just make sure it is in closed loop and drive it easy. I'm jealous.

luvmyrsx

·
Knows he can't spell
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I saw that. That was my plan. you you think that will be safe as long as i keep it under 3K rpm? Im so new to K-Pro im still tying to figure it all out ;) I wanna put the lean protection and Knock MIL on. ive been reading up on K-pro like mad but it still seams confusing. :confused:

·
Mostly stock, Mostly
1,980 Posts
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in, but you should be okay.

Lean cut and mil light is a good idea. Vtec is at 4900 and 90 kpa. So, just don't lead foot it.

luvmyrsx

·
Knows he can't spell
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luvmyrsx what part of Ohio are you from? Im from Cincinnati.

also I have a question about ingnition. you only start to hurt things if you advance ingnition right? I was thinking I would load the Crower stg2 Kal. then add 5% to 10% fuel across the board and also retard the ingnition a bit in all tables. and mabe pull the cam angles back a bit aswell. From what ive been reading it seems like you advance the cam angle and ignition to gain performance but this usually causes the car to want to run leaner. so if I pull ignition and timing and add a little bit of fuel I would loose performance and but there would be less knock and leanness. am I on the right track or im I way off.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,226 Posts
If you drive at part-throttle to the tuner, you won't have to make any changes, your car will be fine.

·
Mostly stock, Mostly
1,980 Posts
I am about 40 miles south of Cleveland.

You are right about ignition. Not sure about cam angle as far as knock goes. Cam advance is used to start the flow of intake air into the cylinder to get as much of the new air into the cylinder as possible. Too much cam advance and you start sucking the new fuel mixture out of the exhaust instead of exhaust gas, or cut off the flow of new air too early.

I have the ignition tables to be on the conservative side. I added 4 degrees ignition to the cai kal without knocking. I am currently working on the jrhdr kal with my ignition table and no knocks. But fuel is way off.

If it were me, I would load the kal as it is, in closed loop. Then I would datalog some runs not exceeding 2000 rpm, then 3000, then 4000 and check the datalogs for a/f and knock. I would try to stay out of vtec. You should do what you feel comfortable doing. If you have 93 octane available that will help.

One of the tricks I have learned is that I load new kals to a warm engine. It seems that way the car doesn't go through the low idle syndrome I would get when I loaded a new kal to a cold engine.

Who is doing your tune?

luvmyrsx

·
Mostly stock, Mostly
1,980 Posts

·
Knows he can't spell
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys and Jeff Evans in PA is doing my tune.

·
Knows he can't spell
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
use the calibration with cams, lean protection, dont stomp on the pedal, done..
If I do that might I still get knock even at partial throttle?

·
Knows he can't spell
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts