Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

New Insurance Initiative for Modified Cars

23K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  Daywick 
#1 · (Edited)
This will be of interest to anyone who has a clean driving record and has been denied insurance coverage because of car modifications or if you have not declared your vehicle modifications to your insurance compay. Please note that this insurance cannot cover you immediately since a list of at least 5,000 applicants (1 driver with 2 cars counts as 2 applicants) has to be compiled before any insurance coverage (of the affordable variety) can be extended to individuals. This post is an effort to spread the word and find out who wants or needs this kind of insurance. Finally, this is not a hoax or an attempt by your insurance company to find out if you have mods - any information you share will be held in the strictest confidence. This is a new venture headed by William Dixon, a Motorsports enthousiast with his own insurance problems and an automotive aftermarket business to run. Just follow the link below to find out more. There has been an article posted about this on the Net Autonet.ca article.

From the SoloCanada Web Site:
If you are using your car for Solo1, Solo2 or have it modified in any fashion, such as lowering, engine swap, rollbar or just "Bling, Bling" we have negotiated to obtain legal insurance coverage for your ride.

If your current insurance company does not know about your motorsport involvment Solo1, Solo2, Rally or your vehicle modifications, you will most likely be denied coverage if you make a claim.

You may even be liable for any damages you have caused an accident or you are found at fault in an accident.

If you are hiding the truth from your insurance company we have an alaternative for you.

We are not just looking for modified cars to insure. We are looking for every day vehicles as well.

Minivans, pickup's, regular cars etc.

We go into full detail at www.solocanada.ca

#27 ·
I'm still trying to find out if what is going on here is really new. I had a long chat with my insurance company about a simple intake modification and the consensus is basically this. When an accident occurs and it can be proven that the cause was a direct result of a mechanical failure then the insurance company will look to someone else to cover the cost. Usually it is the manufacturer who gets nailed for this but for these custom mods it is not since the car was changed beyond the factory specs.

The amusing part was the insurance company said it was OK to go ahead with the mod so long as Acura said it was OK and it didn't void any warranties. In a sense they were asking for Acura to take responsibility for it which would never happen since they didn't design or install it and have no interest in taking on additional liability.

In the end it isn't really all that likely as the number of accidents caused my mechanical failure are few and far between. It could cause any claim with the insurance to be slowed down though.

The autonet article is interesting but uses an extreme example to prove a point. The cars structure was modified with the roll bars and he told them he was racing on the weekend. I suspect the insurance company was not very impressed with that. Look at it this way, suppose you are not a certified mechanic and you repair your brakes. Shortly thereafter, an accident was caused due to a brake failure. Guess who will be responsible? There is nothing new with that.

#29 ·
Hi I need insurance realy bad, my insurance co. that I have right now only knows what the car looks like when I started my policy and for the time being it stops me from getting a no insurance fine from the police but doesn't help me if something happens to me out on the road going from show to show. So typical story I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, I have phoned all over and got one quote for $8000.00 per year in which that conversation ended quickly. So I don't know if I read your article right do you have your ins. co. up and running or are you just doing surveys.

#32 ·
ok so what i am understanding here is, if you currently are with an insurance company and they do not know about your mods, you call up these dudes and get quote from them and indicate all your mods and the price will be comparable?

#34 ·
Depends which insurance company you are with on the type of mods you are allowed. I work for State Farm... they do not allow any mods that change how the car came from the dealership. In other words, no suspension, intake etc etc... its just bullshit. But in all honestly, I may work here but I think they just don't want to tell me what they really allow just cause I have a rsx. They can't do anything if you change your rims... I see it all the time where people have claims and they give us their recipts and we cover everything that was damaged. But they are big on no engine mods... so just be careful. What they don't know can't hurt you. Just don't be dumb about it.

#37 ·
Hmm I was with state farm and now I'm with belair
I got rear ended back in July, u can see pics in my album, and my entire back was done, springs shocks sway tires bumper hatch taillights. Everything. And on top of that I got hit so hard illy car went up and went under the crv In front of me and messed up bit my headlights bumper and hood. The insurance adjuster from belair did the apprasial and asked if I lowered te car, I was being dumb/honest and said yes, he gave me a look and decided to not report it. Cuz aparently they could have dipped from some $ cuz if it was stock, the damage in the front wouldn't have been that bad. Anyways, long story short, I took it to my cozs shop and he helped me save a lot of money. Also the insurance adjuster said I don't need a lot of parts, mist of it could b repaired but he decided to write it as néw parts anyways. (headlights, hood, front bumper with lip rear bumper and lip, 2 rear tires, and the taillights) those were all fixable but he
wrote it as new parts, so I basically got over 1000 just there and paid a bit back to the shop for repairing it.
Guess I got real lucky with the adjuster, but not just that, belair does
provide an amazing service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.