Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dudz
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm helping a friend of mine out with a 1998 honda civic dx (sohc nonvtec) intall a new intake manifold. we've gotten it all intalled...we think every sensor/hose and such is connected correctly. The car idles horribly. it keeps jumping from 1500-3000 rmps. when i try to rev the engine a little the engine dies. I have some ideas on what the problem could be but i wanted to see if anyone had some ideas of their own. (wrong gaskets?) Would appreciate any help at all.

engine type: D16y7
manifold type: z6 (from another D16)
throttle body type: stock y7
gaskets for throttle body and intake manifold: y7 gaskets

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
Could be a gasket leak or a craked IM. Turn the car on, take a small slip of paper and move it along the gasket. If the paper is pulled to the gasket, you've got a leak.

·
Dudz
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thats what we were thinking. we think we may have the wrong gasket on right now---causing a leak. We're gonna get a different gasket and try it out. Hopefully itll all work just fine!! if anyone has any more ideas please feel free to post.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i had that same problem a while back when i was putting together my old motor.

just make sure to remember to clean the surface of both the intake manifold and the head before putting on the new gasket.

sometimes the old gasket sticks to the head and leaves crap all over it, thereby making it hard for the new gasket to make a tight seal.

hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts