Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Old member
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey as some of you might know I am installing the Type R pistons in my car. My question is who makes new rods that can be used with them?

I see that Eagle makes rods but I dont know exactly how good they are. I also saw rods on the Cybernation website too but dont know how good they are either.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

·
EFI Tuning Professional
8,139 Posts
DannyDiesel said:
Hey as some of you might know I am installing the Type R pistons in my car. My question is who makes new rods that can be used with them?

I see that Eagle makes rods but I dont know exactly how good they are. I also saw rods on the Cybernation website too but dont know how good they are either.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)
Well, i know xcell is using the eagle rods, but look at cybernation's. They are making over 450 whp with their rods. I dont know. I know crower makes rods, just do a search on their website. Also, you can have cunningham make custom rods for you. Anyways, any other questions, shoot away

peace out
HARDCORE Mikey

·
Meow?
3,940 Posts
Eagle rods are good but I wouldn't use them on a forced induction setup making enormous power. However, they are rather light in comparison to Crower's I-beam rods, which makes them ideal for NA buildups.

My recommendation would be to shell out a couple extra dollars for the Crower Econobillets, which are even lighter than the Eagles.

·
Old member
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. When I say "how good they are," I mean will they be able to handle alot of miles under the 9000rpm redline. This is an all motor setup using the Toda kit so its not going to make outrageos amounts of horsepower. It just needs to be reliable so I dont have to rebuild it again.

·
Registered
715 Posts
hmm im learning ...lol

·
Meow?
3,940 Posts
DannyDiesel said:
Thanks for the replies. When I say "how good they are," I mean will they be able to handle alot of miles under the 9000rpm redline. This is an all motor setup using the Toda kit so its not going to make outrageos amounts of horsepower. It just needs to be reliable so I dont have to rebuild it again.
In those regards it's the bearings that take all the damage. Rods aren't a wear item.

·
Old member
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohh...I was just curious because I heard that the Stock rods on the Type S might crack after a while.

With aftermarket rods, do they come with new bearings or do you use factory ones? I already bought a new set of rod bearings from Acura so I hope I can use em.

·
Meow?
3,940 Posts
DannyDiesel said:
Ohh...I was just curious because I heard that the Stock rods on the Type S might crack after a while.

With aftermarket rods, do they come with new bearings or do you use factory ones? I already bought a new set of rod bearings from Acura so I hope I can use em.
At super high RPMs yes, you might stress the stock rods. But that would certainly be well north of 9000 RPMs.

Usually you use factory bearings.

·
ILikeFastCars&FastWomen
733 Posts
I think it would be good to go with new rods if you are going to change pistons anyways. The lighter pistons and rods should reduce stress to the bearings so reliablitly shouldn't be a problem, even above 9000rpm. Have you considered getting a stroker kit for a bit more displacement, since you will be replacing the rods anyways.

·
Old member
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The compression will be bumped up to 11.5 and the gains are like 2% of whatever your horsepower is(or something like that).

These pistons are now for sale if anyone wants em because Im going with another setup. $325 shipped for the pistons and rings.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
DannyDiesel said:
These pistons are now for sale if anyone wants em because Im going with another setup.
Good choice!

By the way. I have Holley Chrome rods from CyberNation. Haven't even turned the car on yet so I wouldn't know how they are.

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Edo was saying that much of the engine failure seen with the K20s was caused by the weak connecting rods. He placed F20 rods next to K20 rods, took some pics, and you could see just how wimpy K20 rods look compared to the F20s. If Honda chose much thicker, stronger connecting rods for 800 more rpms for two seperate but similar cars in stock form, I think that says something. I think if your revving over the stock 8200, changing the connecting rods would be wise.

·
Registered
74 Posts
DallasTypeS said:
Edo was saying that much of the engine failure seen with the K20s was caused by the weak connecting rods. He placed F20 rods next to K20 rods, took some pics, and you could see just how wimpy K20 rods look compared to the F20s. If Honda chose much thicker, stronger connecting rods for 800 more rpms for two seperate but similar cars in stock form, I think that says something. I think if your revving over the stock 8200, changing the connecting rods would be wise.
Ib has two types of Rods available
H-beams <--seen 700+ hp
I-Beam ultralite

If you havent done valve train yet Eibach (EVS) is available as well

·
ILikeFastCars&FastWomen
733 Posts
DannyDiesel said:
The compression will be bumped up to 11.5 and the gains are like 2% of whatever your horsepower is(or something like that).

These pistons are now for sale if anyone wants em because Im going with another setup. $325 shipped for the pistons and rings.
So what setup are you going with? PM me if you'd rather not say on the thread.

·
Old member
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RevhardK20 said:
Ib has two types of Rods available
H-beams <--seen 700+ hp
I-Beam ultralite

If you havent done valve train yet Eibach (EVS) is available as well

I emailed them and their rods are not available yet. I already have the head done. (toda kit)

·
Registered
616 Posts
will oem rod work with aftermarket rod?

i know for B series, it will not, without modifications to the rod
for b series oem the wrist pin is doesn't move in the rod, but floats in the piston

for aftermarket B series it floats on the rod, and fixed in the piston

1 - 17 of 17 Posts