Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new RSX Type S yesterday and I noticed whenever I start it cold it makes a clunking noise from behind the shifter area. It also makes this noise when I release the clutch after shifting gears if the RPM isn’t at the perfect range. Another time it makes the noise is if I’m driving slowly in 1st or 2nd gear and quickly release the gas. As the car starts engine braking it will clunk once sometimes twice as the car bounces around after letting off the gas. I’m guessing this is due to a bad bushing somewhere? The motor was rebuilt 20k miles ago. Another thing I’m concerned about is some vibration on acceleration. I test drove another rsx and it didn’t seem to have as much vibration. Could this also be some bushings or motor mounts somewhere that could use replacing? First post on this forum, hope to learn some useful info here, thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just remembered another time it makes this clunking noise. It snowed pretty hard today in MN and while accelerating and experiencing the wheel spin I noticed as the tires regain their grip it makes the noise. I can post a video if that helps also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply; like I said the clunking comes almost from the shifter, but behind it... almost below the e brake. Is there a transmission mount or something behind the shifter?

·
Registered
306 Posts
No, the transmission is completely in the engine bay. You could have something loose in the shifter linkage that's in that area. The only way to know would be to pull the center console off. The exhaust also runs down under there and could be hitting, so might check those mounts too. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check all of the engine/transmission mounts as I wouldn't expect normal movement from the engine/transmission to cause those to make the noise you describe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright I’ll check it out in a few days. In the meantime I’ll get a video of it today probably at some point and post that in here. Do you guys think the vibration on accel. could be a motor mount or something ?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Every symptom you have mentioned can be and likely is your motor mounts, that's why two people have already previously said inspect your motor mounts. I'll be the third, inspect your motor mounts. Inspect all of your suspension bushings and exhaust hangers while you're at it.

·
Premium Member
145,086,157 Posts
Don't bother with the video, just check your mounts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts