Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/22/toyota-considering-return-of-rear-wheel-drive-ae86/

Our pals at Winding Road just passed along a note that Toyota might be considering re-releasing the driftastic Corolla Sport. The endearingly tossable rear-wheel-drive AE86 platform was known by many names around the world: Corolla Levin, Sprinter Trueno, Corolla GT and of course the Corolla Sport in the States. Particularly in GT-S trim, it was one of the few sporty models to make its way into Toyota dealerships, alongside the Celica and Supra, and eventually the MR2, which essentially replaced it. But it was fun and cheap, and that set it apart. Available from 1983-1987, it was one of the last affordable rear-drive cars that could take a pounding, making it a favorite of budget street racers and the emerging drift scene in the '80s and '90s.

It looks like the suits at Toyota are close to greenlighting a new version. Apparently the idea has been floated several times over the years with mixed reaction, but it seems to be gaining some momentum lately. There is reportedly some disagreement within the corporate ranks over whether or not it would actually sell, but a few officials appear to be backing it strongly. Must be some Initial D fans up in there. A modernized Hachi-Roku would have to find a suitable rwd platform, but would be a blast to see in the lineup again. Of course, we've had access to AE86 in games like Need For Speed for years now, but getting our hands on the real deal would be sweet. We'll keep our fingers crossed on this one.

·
'S' on my chest
4,735 Posts
It would be nice if this vehicle was presented with stark similarities to its flagship. Car manufacturers find a way to drop the ball every chance they get. If it were stylish, performs and reasonably priced I would consider picking one up.

·
My Kissy Face
2,483 Posts
outstanding

·
My Kissy Face
2,483 Posts
it'd be better if it were marketed as a trueno or levin as its name

·
My Kissy Face
2,483 Posts
:rotfl: :rotfl: i want a red/black one

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
why not just say a new rwd corolla? calling it a ae86 is misleading
I think they'd have to call it something different than just a new corolla... The current corolla is known as a efficient, reliable, grocery getter... and has been FWD for many years. I imagine it sells pretty well in it's segment, so I'd assume toyota would want to keep that customer, then market the RWD corolla as the sport edition or as a completely different car... (ie "Corolla AE86", or just "AE86"). Toyota is going to have to market this towards enthusiasts. Enthusiasts are the only ones that really care about a 1986 corolla... (i know, it's a shame, but look what it did for the company. Auto Industry take note: You earn brand loyalty and respect through sports cars...end rant) So either toyota is gonna have to tie into the little legend through names such as "Trueno", "Levin" or "Ae86", or they market it towards the same segment as say the "civic SI"... A compact sport coupe/hatch, but with RWD.

it'd be better if it were marketed as a trueno or levin as its name
:iamwiths: As long as it's reminiscent of the original it's cool with me

·
I fight for the SYSTEM
18,625 Posts
Has the potential to be cool. It'd be nice to see them just put a drivers car, and cater to this niche market, although it'd probably turn out to be something like the MR2....

Spy shot:
thats a god awful chop and that is a FWD corolla; this gen corolla is a few years old, i highly doubt we'll see a RWD coupe from Toyota, they tend to favor blandmobiles that sell over passionate vehicles of any sort ('cept the FJ Cruiser, where the fuck DID it come from?) hence they are slated to become the #1 automaker, but hopefully they'll prove me wrong and make something we could all happily say really is a sports car

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
I think they'd have to call it something different than just a new corolla... The current corolla is known as a efficient, reliable, grocery getter... and has been FWD for many years. I imagine it sells pretty well in it's segment, so I'd assume toyota would want to keep that customer, then market the RWD corolla as the sport edition or as a completely different car... (ie "Corolla AE86", or just "AE86"). Toyota is going to have to market this towards enthusiasts. Enthusiasts are the only ones that really care about a 1986 corolla... (i know, it's a shame, but look what it did for the company. Auto Industry take note: You earn brand loyalty and respect through sports cars...end rant) So either toyota is gonna have to tie into the little legend through names such as "Trueno", "Levin" or "Ae86", or they market it towards the same segment as say the "civic SI"... A compact sport coupe/hatch, but with RWD.

:iamwiths: As long as it's reminiscent of the original it's cool with me
"sports cars" as what you refer them to dont sell, the general market is what sells

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"sports cars" as what you refer them to dont sell, the general market is what sells
:wavey: thanks captain obvious...

did you read when I said:
The current corolla is known as a efficient, reliable, grocery getter... and has been FWD for many years. I imagine it sells pretty well in it's segment, so I'd assume toyota would want to keep that customer,
my point was that car companies always use "sports cars don't sell in mass quantity" as an excuse for not building more sports cars... But a point that's often skipped over is the fact that sports cars create brand loyalty and a desire for the brand... I don't think there would be rabid fans of the 80's corolla if it was the bland 4 door grocery getter it currently is. Whether or not toyota meant to, they created a classic... Small tossable RWD coupe... Now they should use the same formula to their advantage, make another one, add some spice to the bland vehicle line up they currently have and build up the fan base with some younger customers...

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.