Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

What do you think of the design?

• Excellent

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • Looks like shit

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Warmy

Votes: 13 27.1%

New Sway Bar Design for the Hardcore Suspension Guys....

6K views 148 replies 20 participants last post by  KazeSpec 
#1 · (Edited)
This is for the rear sway bar.

Well Brian and I have been thinking hard about our sway bar dilemma. we want more bar, so we can use less spring, and with less spring, more bump. we need maximum adjustability for this bar. For the bar to work at 100%, we need the endlinks vertical. Also, we want the bar to have the least amount of bends possible. Now you all know ASR has a bar like this. However, the adjustment is limited with that piece because of the short endlinks. So what did we come up with? Something similar to the RealTime RSX.

The bar will be mounted within the cabin of the car. If you look at where the current endlink mounting tabs are located, directly above them are the rear camber kits. In order to bypass these we will move the mounting tab farther back and towards the outside of the car. Heim joints will be used for the endlinks. a CNC'd straight arm will be used to hold the bar. the bar's ends will be broched for a nonplay fit. we are still deciding on how to mount the bar to the frame rail (another advantage of our bar) but it will either consist of a bracket that is bolted on or welded. The bracket will house a bronze bushing. A slotted hole will have to be cut in the wheel wells to allow the bar to have maximum adjustment. it will clear the stock fuel lines, etc. Now that I've covered the basics of the bar, I'd like to get some feedback. Discuss.

Cliffs:
endlink relocated, long ass endlink will come up vertically.
slotted hole needs to be cut in wheel well, CNC'd arm connects to endlink.
45" long bar will have broched ends to ensure tight nonplay fit.
bar will pass through a bracket connected to the frame rail. bracket will house bronze bushing.
bracket will allow for adjustment of bar via slotted holes.

See less See more
#4 ·
an idea that i am toying with is to move the mounting point of the sway bar closer to the ball joint. it would be ideal for the sway bar to as close to the 1:1 ratio as possible. the closer it is to that, the bar will work more smoothly and have a better transistions, but will have a higher twisting ratio. by the way, here a pic of the lca jig i am working on for the right side. the bearing mounted is for the front.

Attachments

#8 ·
so, you're talking about cutting the trunk pan? mounting the rear sway bar kinda level with the trunk pan in between the rear frame rails? what about water leaking in? hahaha! i have a daily driver soooo that's hella Street Mod. but yes i've seen it on speedworld challenge cars. and some rx3's. wow, that's some mod there.

#10 ·
no no, this is going above the trunk pan. if we were to cut through the trunk pan, the fuel shit will get in the way.

#12 ·
you want the endlinks to be long and straight so you can get the most adjustability possible.

#15 ·
highrev, this is an idea of how the design will be:

except straight arms, and brackets that hold the bar onto the frame rail. and no rob no pictures yet since we haven't started fabbing anything up. we really wanna nail this on the head the first time so i don't have to buy so many bars to find out which one will be suitable. and btw, who picked the warmy option :squinty:

#22 ·
you guys aren't reading correctly. this goes inside the car, above the trunk pan. Brian and AS-R's owner actually were in direct competition to get one made, but AS-R prevailed...we're looking for maximum adjustability. with both those bars, your adjustability is limited because the endlinks are so short. you'll see what i'm talking about soon.

#25 ·
lmao damnit people are voting against our idea noooooo. and yes james, it would require holes in th wheel wells. nothing too big though, more like 2" give or take to allow room for adjustment.

#28 ·
:crying: asshole!

having a hard time picturing this. :dontknow:
:head:

mark...look where your frame rail is under the car....now look inside the trunk area....locate where frame rails would be inside trunk.....that's where the bracket will be mounted to hold the bar down :shakehead

#31 ·
mark, even for the front we will be mounting on top, where there is a HUMUNGOUS hole in the bay for the tie rods to go through.

#32 ·
OK, I think I understand.....holes in the wheels wells to he caben is sooo not for dd car.....:noes:

Reactions: KazeSpec
#36 ·
that's why you're not gonna be one of the people to test the prototype :coffee: alright who picked warmy again :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.