Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
169 miles...
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps.

Thanks for taking a look at this. I didn't throw it in the tire section as it could be a suspension issue or something else I'm not aware of.

So, a few weeks ago I put on some new 225' Ventus V12 tires on my Type S and did an alignment. Immediately I get on the freeway and notice my car is amazingly floaty. It was literally difficult to keep it in the lane without constantly correcting the steering wheel. I knew something was up.

Ironically, my step father works at the tire shop that installed them. He said lower the PSI as they were at 40. I lower to 35, helps a little. Lowered to the car "standard" and try 32. It's definitely better, but it just feels as if the back end is always late.

I actually even had to swerve out of the way on the freeway and thought I was going to lose control of the vehicle. If I twitch the wheel in any direction, it always rolls. It honestly feels like I'm driving a truck at this point. I also got an alignment the same day on my car, but I didn't obtain the numbers since he works there. I can't imagine they screwed it up THAT bad, but I don't know how much an alignment can create the issues I have now, I'm no expert.

My step dads response is simply "cheap tires." Anyone knows what gives? I did some research, and these tires scored pretty well on Car and Driver. Thoughts?

·
Dreamchaser
939 Posts
Are the tires mounted on correctly?
I know that the Ventus' are directional tires so maybe they put them on backwards?

Has each wheel been balanced?

·
EJ25 FTW
65,259 Posts
I know that the Ventus' are directional tires so maybe they put them on backwards?

This. The Evo's are actually pretty damn good tires for the price.

·
169 miles...
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Direction was one of the first things I checked, and all are rolling forward in the proper direction. I assume they balanced them, but my step father is the manager so he didn't actually do the work himself. I thought the V12's would be amazing compared to the stock Michelin's with no grip, but now I'd give a 100 bucks simply to go back to my old tires, it's simplynot the same feeling.

Could it just be that it's a softer tire compound? I'm going to take it back, but I wanted your guys opinion. Ideal PSI for these tires? It feels like it hugs around corners, but just snapping that wheel backs the back end come out all crazy, far more than the stock Michelin's.

·
Dreamchaser
939 Posts
Did you try switching the rear tires with the fronts?

It could be a manufacturer defect and something is just wrong with the set of rubbers you got.

But agreed, the V12's are a great tire for the price

·
3,651 Posts
I've had these tires before. The sidewalls are on the soft side which gives that floaty/roll feeling a lot. However, every tire needs a few hundred miles before they are broken in. I say wait another week, and if nothing has changed, then check for worn suspension parts.

Also, make sure that the PSI is even on all four tires.

·
Constant Creepin
85 Posts
Direction was one of the first things I checked, and all are rolling forward in the proper direction. I assume they balanced them, but my step father is the manager so he didn't actually do the work himself. I thought the V12's would be amazing compared to the stock Michelin's with no grip, but now I'd give a 100 bucks simply to go back to my old tires, it's simplynot the same feeling.

Could it just be that it's a softer tire compound? I'm going to take it back, but I wanted your guys opinion. Ideal PSI for these tires? It feels like it hugs around corners, but just snapping that wheel backs the back end come out all crazy, far more than the stock Michelin's.
double check there are weights on the inside of the wheel or by the rim lip. in my experience EVERY tire needs some weights to balance it properly.

·
169 miles...
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I've got about 1000 miles on these, it's about about a month and I'm just now getting your opinion on this. So they have to be well broken in. My father did say something about the sidewall as well, could that be it and just something I'm not use too? It's crazy, but I've never experienced this before, and if that's the case, I won't go with softer sidewalls ever again. Do not like the feeling.

I know there were weights on the rim due to my previous tires, but I'll have them double check, and even switch the rears to the fronts. I'm going to try and do it this weekend and I'll keep you guys posted.

Lasy question. Could my alignment have anything to do with that? Or completely rule that out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts