Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04' type-s that I was looking to turbo charge but had some questions. My dad just bought a 9-3 SAAB HO and I love the sound the turbo & blow off valve make enough though very quiet. I want that sound on my rsx but very noticable. I really don't care about making the car much faster. I road race professionally on the weekends so a street car doesn't really get me all that excited. So with that in mind what should I do? My plan was to buy a cheap turbo kit like Rev Hard for around $2,350 on ebay. Since I don't care to much about hp I was thinking I'd run very low boost to save the life of the motor. Here are my questions.

1. Can I buy a turbo kit(running low boost) and just bolt it on and go or do I have to remap the engine and stuff like that?
2. Should I stay away from the real cheap kits like Rev Hard. I know cheap isn't always better.
3. Can I set the blow off valve for 3-4 pounds of boost so it doesn't take much to make that sweet sound we all love.
4. I know you should have a low compression engine when running boost. How much of a gamble is it running boost on a car that has a pretty high CP?
5. When buying a kit is the turbo already set for example 6psi. or can you adjust that. If so can you just set the blow off valve to blow at a lower pressure? Obviously turbos are only made for their specific psi range. But if it's set to make 6psi does that mean you have the option to run anything below that?

I know I'm asking a lot but I do appreciate the feed back. From reading other posts I can tell this is nothing new to you guys.

P.S. Were any of you guys at Road Atlanta for "Drift Atlanta". I was down there racing and got to see all the cars and the drift comp. Pretty sweet.

·
Senior Member My Ass
773 Posts
ok that's a slew of frikkin' questions. since you're new here we won't flame u too bad but all of those can be answered by using the search function. with that said here we go-1. yes u can buy a bolt up kit and run stock boost. greddy and c/n both have engine management.
2. no experience with revhard but ask randeezle about that one, he's not too happy.
3. the blow off valve only "makes that sound" when it needs to expell gases. if all u want is the sound u could buy an imitation bov fro like $30. if that's the case i will stop answering questions here and u could end yourself.
4. not really a gamble as long as the tuning is done properly. many people on this board myself included have high compressions and are running boost fine.
5. u can adjust it but they come preset(atleast the greddy does)

no, i didn't go to drift atlanta.

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
i VieTEC said:
Randeezle's pointer would be: buy new piston!!! hahaha jk

jmship at least you are a constructive whore :thumbsup:
Yeah, actually I would suggest it to every person looking to boost. I'm sure everybody wants to strengthen their bottom end and lower their compression.

On one hand I'm pissed, but I'm gonna be SO MUCH faster with this upgrade/repair.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys thanks for the info. Not like I'd buy it because I HATE fake shit but what's that fake blow off valve thing. You're not talk about that whistle thing you stick in your muffler are you? Anyways one more question. It's going to sound dumb to you guys but it'll probably make the difference of me buying a turbo. On the factory turbo cars I've driven you can be at lets say 2500 rpm and make (almost) as much boost as you would at 5600 rpm. Is this true with these aftermarket kits? Could you be trolling though a parking lot at 3500 rpm and put your foot down for a few seconds and have enough boost to let off the throtle and get the blow off valve to purge? Or do you have to be up in the 5-6-7000rpm range? Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.