Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realised that there was a base forum under the performance forum. I already posted this there and someone responded and it caught my attention it was in the wrong place ..so here goes..
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey all..my first post here. Cant say how glad I am to have found this forum.

Im gonna be doing some mods very soon and have some questions as far as some of the parts available.

Intakes. I can only find injen and AEM intakes available. Are Iceman intakes not available for a base RSX? Also, I live in flordia. LOTS of rain..and lots of standing water. Im curious what the best intake would be in this case to avoid hydrolock. Im told AEM makes a water bypass valve, anyone have any experience with this? I'll probably go short ram, but not sure yet.

Headers. I can only find 4-2-1 header. Are there no 4-1 headers available for base RSX? Im still rather confused about this, the DC sport headers available here appear to be what I would call 4-1 but theyre listed as 4-2-1. someoen care to clear this up plz?

I guess in a nutshell I can find all the parts Im looking for, but limited to manufacturers.

Also, Im really new at car mods. Im familiar with them but mostly had bikes my whole life. What stages should I do these mods in or does it matter? I mean if I can only afford so much what should I get before the other.

Im thinking intake first, then header, then exhaust can and sometime get an ECU upgrade?

Oh ya, forgot about wheels. Those will be my first puchase some nice 17 inch rims by next week.

Cheers!

·
Korican
874 Posts
sawwbuzz said:
Intakes. I can only find injen and AEM intakes available. Are Iceman intakes not available for a base RSX? Also, I live in flordia. LOTS of rain..and lots of standing water. Im curious what the best intake would be in this case to avoid hydrolock. Im told AEM makes a water bypass valve, anyone have any experience with this? I'll probably go short ram, but not sure yet.Headers. I can only find 4-2-1 header. Are there no 4-1 headers available for base RSX? Im still rather confused about this, the DC sport headers available here appear to be what I would call 4-1 but theyre listed as 4-2-1. someoen care to clear this up plz?Im thinking intake first, then header, then exhaust can and sometime get an ECU upgrade?
First off, welcome. When it comes to intakes and exhausts, they usually perform close to the same. So it is really about what you like. If you took a look around you would see that most of us have Injen or AEM. Don't be affraid of water getting into the intake, first off the whole filter would have to be under water. Then it would work like a straw, so avoid that. If you come up to a deep puddle, let off the gas, and put her out of gear. AEM does make a valve, not sure if they have one for the RSX. Short ram is a safe bet. When it comes to headers it depends on what you want to do. Most folks go the intake/header/exhaust route. Then you can get the Hondata flash, or save up for the Toda cam package. Suspension is always good, so new shoes and some other upgrades will help alot.

·
Low Key
3,136 Posts
About hydrolocking, i have an Injen CAI, and it had been raining for 3 days, i was driving down the road at about 50, hit a HUGE puddle, like i seriously thought i was screwed! but nothing happend, no problems at all. Peking is right, the filter has to be fully submerged in the water, which isn't very likely to happen, especially if ur car isnt lowered. But short ram u wont havta worry about anything.

·
Representin' DC5AB.COM
433 Posts
As for headers, you can get DC sports, Comptech HP Racing and a few other companies for shorty headers. These are 4-1 headers. Or you can get a race header which Comptech, Jackson Racing and Toda make them. You'll get the most power out of a race header but they can be quite expensive. I currently have the HP Racing shorty header. I like it, it gave a noticable difference in power and I got it for really cheap. So basically it all depends on what kind of power you want and how much you are willing to spend.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm..I'll have to check on the comptech headers. I couldnt seem to find any 4-1 for an a/t base rsx.

One thing that has me concerned when doing the intake/header/exhaust mod is warranty. I know there are specific brands which acura will honor if you use their mods like AEM and comptech.
anything specific I should know about before I take the plunge and start to mod this thing? Im may be lowering and adding wheels as early as this weekend or next week.

sorry ya im a newb

·
Korican
874 Posts
sawwbuzz said:
One thing that has me concerned when doing the intake/header/exhaust mod is warranty. I know there are specific brands which acura will honor if you use their mods like AEM and comptech.
anything specific I should know about before I take the plunge and start to mod this thing? Im may be lowering and adding wheels as early as this weekend or next week.
Do a search on warranty, that will answer your questions. Just remember what you want to do, and how much you want to spend. This site has been around for some time now so you will usually find what you need posted already.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good deal..
ya i just found this place. Ive literally spent 2 nights in a row just reading the forums and looking at the mods.
this really is an incredible forum for RSX owners

·
Korican
874 Posts
sawwbuzz said:
good deal..
ya i just found this place. Ive literally spent 2 nights in a row just reading the forums and looking at the mods.

Yeah it is, good that you are taking the time to look around.

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
sawwbuzz said:
good deal..
I was in the same position as you were a few months ago, newbie with plenty of questions. I spent many hours going through posts here and then introduced myself with a bunch of questions. The regulars here were just terrific. They will aways help and be very patient, unless you're a newbie and ask dumb questions that show you never did any research at all.

As a result of this terrific forum and all the help, I quickly became a forum and RSX addict. I never did much modding before, but did so with my black 2004 RSX Type-S.

I looked at all the different intake technologies and brands and went with the Comptech Icebox because of its combination of higher flow, cooler operation and near stock look.

Living in California I didn't want to tamper with the cat, and so was restricted to a shorty header. All of them are what I call "modified 4-2-1" designs where four short pipes become two and then one via a welded-in divider plate. The stock Type-S already has that plate, but the Comptech shorty looked so much smoother and more optimized that I got one. Having Comptech under the hood makes the car growl just a bit more and I got a bit more power and torque.

I almost immediately replaced the stock wheels with 17-inch rims and 225/45 Kumhos. I chose reasonably priced rims that were within less than a pound each of the stockers so as not to add too much rotational weight. (And my wife loves the Acura wheels she now has on her Sienna).

Coming from a M3 (weekend) and a CRX (daily driver), I was disappointed in the RSX's handling in tight turns. Again the regulars here gave me good advice. I concluded that springs alone weren't for me and that I didn't need the adjustability of coilovers. So I got the Mugen suspension kit and installed it with a friend. It lowered the car by 1.4 inches and totally transformed its personality.

I went back and forth on getting Hondata (flirted with a Jackson Supercharger, but no bucks right now) because unless my other mods, this is not CARB legal. I decided to go for it because it is reversible and not easily detectable. So far I love it. The lower VTEC kick-in yields plenty more power and torque at mid-range (18hp and 16ftlb at 5,800) and I gained some on top, though not as much as I had hoped.

I have a Fujitsubo PowerGetter exhaust sitting in my garage, and that goes in this weekend. I chose it because according to a poll done here at this site it combines good power and good fit with not too much extra loudness.

So far, this has been a very happy journey. Well, ok, I am hooked and obsessed. :) And I can't thank Chris Dye enough for all he does for us.

·
EVO X
1,512 Posts
you should check out the HKS Super Mega Flow Kit. I once had the AEM SRI. Between the 2, i definately love the HKS. it sounds a lot sweeter than the AEM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts