Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Big brother is looking out for you! :rolleyes: :shakehead: :firemad:
Upon inquiring about getting a nitrous tank filled I was told that I needed a Permit from the NJ Dept of Health. I was informed that the speedshop filled the tanks with medical grade nitrous. But, the permit and statute below applies to ALL FORMS of nitrous. They told me that you needed the permit in the car with you in case the cops pulled you over and found that you had nitrous. Nitrous is legal for use in cars in NJ and I could not find any statutes that say otherwise. With further research into the statutes I found that NJ keeps records for 2 years of your name, address, and how much nitrous you purchase. Obviously this is to prevent resale for "huffing". If caught without a premit you could face drug charges related to how much nitrous is in the tank reguardless of the type. Of course a good lawyer could possibly get you off if you have a nitrous setup in your car, but why chance it.

I figured I'd put this out there for you guys to digest.
Happy Spraying! :wavey:

24:6G-1. Control or possession without written permit; prohibition; exceptions
It shall be unlawful for any person or persons, except a duly licensed physician, dentist, veterinarian, nurse, hospital, sanitarium or other medical institution, or a resident physician or intern of a hospital, sanitarium or other medical institution, to have under control or possess nitrous oxide IN ANY FORM unless the person obtains a written permit issued by the Department of Health; except that no person under 19 years of age shall have under his control or possess nitrous oxide.

I am in no way giving any legal advice in any of these posts. I am only pointing out the statutes for informational purposes.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It seems you have to be 19 and get a permit from the NJ Dept of Health. :rolleyes: The shop selling the nitrous should have the applications. The shops I went to did. If not contact the NJ Dept of Health I guess.

I am in no way giving any legal advice in any of these posts I im only pointing out the statutes for informational purposes.

mvkicker said:
So you dont have to worry about it if you are over 19???

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
yup.
You have to go to the dmv and get a permit to carry hazardous material(nitrous) in your car. Only prob is that when u get pulled over, cops already know you have nitrous in the car. So theres no point in trying to hide it. The bottle must not be connected to the car, or well, your pretty much fucked.
So i guess the bottle in clear view of the police officer with a quick release is the best way to go.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am in no way giving any legal advice in any of these posts I im only pointing out the statutes for informational purposes.

Here is one of the statutes related to Nitrous in Florida.
I'd recomend you read the whole thing and find out from the state to be sure you can have it in Florida and that no changes have been made to the statute. #4 is related to use in cars.

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/in..._Statute&Search_String=&URL=CH0877/Sec111.HTM

Acuraivtec said:
what about if your in Florida ?

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
how many grams of nitrous in a 10lb bootle ? , and oh thanks RSX-Styling for the link.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 gram = .0022 lbs, so 10 lbs = 4545.45 grams...I think (math was never my strong suit). No problem, just here to help everyone who has been so helpful to me. :thumbsup:

Acuraivtec said:
how many grams of nitrous in a 10lb bootle ? , and oh thanks RSX-Styling for the link.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
well, i'm from Jersey and live in florida (college) so there! haha

·
EUROLOGIST
514 Posts
rsx-styling,
where do you get your bottle filled? The place i go to charges me 5 bucks per pound. I know other people usually get it for 3 or 4 bucks a pound.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm still researching nitrous oxide before I use it in my car, but I've checked the price for you. It's $4/lb at Bruces Speed Shop, 305 RT. 46 ROCKAWAY BORO, NJ
973-664-0192/973-664-0193, http://www.brucesspeed.com/ Hope you live in the area. That is probably where I would get it and it's the only place that I currently know of in the area. Everyone else sells the kits but no nitrous fills. Also he only sells the medical grade. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

RedTYPES said:
rsx-styling,
where do you get your bottle filled? The place i go to charges me 5 bucks per pound. I know other people usually get it for 3 or 4 bucks a pound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RSX-Styling said:
I'm still researching nitrous oxide before I use it in my car, but I've checked the price for you. It's $4/lb at Bruces Speed Shop, 305 RT. 46 ROCKAWAY BORO, NJ
973-664-0192/973-664-0193, http://www.brucesspeed.com/ Hope you live in the area. That is probably where I would get it and it's the only place that I currently know of in the area. Everyone else sells the kits but no nitrous fills. Also he only sells the medical grade. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
F that place. they're bad news. i live in north jersey and so many bad stories about that place. my boys just opened a shop in Rockaway, Custom Car Performance. www.customcarperformance.com they're right of rt 80- exit 36. at light make left and they're on left about 2 miles right above gulf station.

i get my bottle filled at Stage 1 Automotive in wayne/pompton plains. they are on rt 23 N. You even drop the bottle off and they chill it for you, so that you get the most nitrous for your money & in your bottle.

also you can get it filled in paterson at Dayton Auto Parts, but they aren't knowledgable. just a store for ricers. They exptied my bottle completely, not even knowing that thats not good to do. both places charge $4/lb.

I highly recommend L&M Engines in Hatboro PA. They are a NX dealer and refill station. They build complete race engines all work done in house. If you have any questions about them contact me. I'll get you good prices on service. We're currently building a b16a w/ ITBs and 150+shot nos AEM EMS controlled and dyno tuned w/ their engine dyno. The most impressive part is that we're (me and L&M Engines) are developing custom (not regrinds, not any other brand) camshafts along the way of the engine build and they'll be available w/in 3-4months.

-rob

·
Female Body Inspector
139 Posts
sol2nr said:
F that place. they're bad news. i live in north jersey and so many bad stories about that place. my boys just opened a shop in Rockaway, Custom Car Performance. www.customcarperformance.com they're right of rt 80- exit 36. at light make left and they're on left about 2 miles right above gulf station.

i get my bottle filled at Stage 1 Automotive in wayne/pompton plains. they are on rt 23 N. You even drop the bottle off and they chill it for you, so that you get the most nitrous for your money & in your bottle.

also you can get it filled in paterson at Dayton Auto Parts, but they aren't knowledgable. just a store for ricers. They exptied my bottle completely, not even knowing that thats not good to do. both places charge $4/lb.

I highly recommend L&M Engines in Hatboro PA. They are a NX dealer and refill station. They build complete race engines all work done in house. If you have any questions about them contact me. I'll get you good prices on service. We're currently building a b16a w/ ITBs and 150+shot nos AEM EMS controlled and dyno tuned w/ their engine dyno. The most impressive part is that we're (me and L&M Engines) are developing custom (not regrinds, not any other brand) camshafts along the way of the engine build and they'll be available w/in 3-4months.

-rob
Sweet thanks for the N2O info I will check it our.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts