Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Automatic Base RSX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2002 RSX base automatic the other day and had the unfortunate pleasure of running into my first issue(s) the day after I got it.
I noticed a burning electronics smell from the vents the other day and just chalked it up to the shitty aftermarket halo lights the previous owner installed since the passenger side headlights and halo were flickering. I spent some time trying to diagnose the issue with the headlights and had my A/C and vent fans running full blast because of the recent summer heat. I let the car idle for a bit, and then the revs suddenly dropped and the vent air became weaker. Then the vents didn't blow any air at all! The burning electronics smell was gone today when I took the car out and the A/C fan still engages when I turn on the A/C, so I am going to assume that it had something to do with the blower motor or related components.

I quickly took to the internet and looked up my issue, then tried the following things:

I tried the diagnostic procedure in the repair manual where you hold the recirculate button and press the defogger button five times with the ignition on. The recirculate button had one long blink before the A/C light went off, but there were no blinks after the A/C light went off. The manual says nothing about this.

I checked the blower motor fuse under the hood and it was intact. The A/C / recirculate lights and mirror adjustment were still working so it couldn't have been the fuse inside.

I removed the power transistor module (real bitch to remove when all you have is a long screwdriver and stiff cabling is in the way) and performed a test on it outlined here and the resistance was closed so it probably isn't a blown thermal cutoff. I then tested again on plug pins 1 and 2 as outlined in the manual and the resistance was within spec, so I don't think it's the module.

I would just remove the blower motor and replace it, but no blinks came back from the diagnostic procedure and that makes me hesitant to spend $130 on the part and drop my ECU to install it. Has anybody had a similar issue? Any opinions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd check for voltage at the blower motor plug to verify that the motor is indeed bad before purchasing anything.

·
Registered
2002 Automatic Base RSX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm getting 12V at the blower motor connector and it goes up and down when I turn the fan speed dial. I guess I'm replacing the blower motor.

·
Registered
2002 Automatic Base RSX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out it was the blower motor. It also turns out that my blower motor screws are now stripped, and I have no idea how to get it out.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Automatic Base RSX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drilled those fuckers out after pulling my hair for a good couple of days or so. For future reference, #10 1/2" pan head philips screws from Home Depot work fine as replacements for blower motor screws if anybody else happens to strip them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Drilled those out after pulling my hair for a good couple of days or so. For future reference, #10 1/2" pan head philips screws from Home Depot work fine as replacements for blower motor screws if anybody else happens to strip them.
Good to know.

What tools or bits did you use to drill them out ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts